Issues Producing Single Particle Animation

jack.elstner
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Issues Producing Single Particle Animation

Post by jack.elstner »

Hello,
In section 7.4, when I went through the process of trying to produce a single particle animation, I got the following error message:

couldn't execute "usr/local/ImageMagick-6.1.5/bin/convert": no such file or directory
couldn't execute "usr/local/ImageMagick-6.1.5/bin/convert": no such file or directory
while executing
"exec $magick_pgm -quiet -density $Density -loop 100 -delay 30 -trim +repage -dispose Background $Input_file $Output_file"
(procedure "run_magick" line 32)
invoked from within
"run_magick"
invoked from within
".magick.bot.save invoke"
("uplevel" body line 1)
invoked from within
"uplevel #0 [list $w invoke]"
(procedure "tk::ButtonUp" line 23)
invoked from within
"tk::ButtonUp .magick.bot.save"
(command bound to event)

I have installed imagemagick 7.0 onto my computer, but not sure what's going on. I have not had any issues like to this up to this point in the workshop.

Thanks!
aring
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Issues Producing Single Particle Animation

Post by aring »

Hi there,
It seems your ImageMagick path is incorrect in your default_exec file.
For me (on a Mac), my convert executable is located here: /usr/local/Cellar/imagemagick/7.0.10-20/bin/convert
The location of your imagemagick v7.0xx installation should be added to your default_exec file under Advanced > Configuration Setup > Set Directories.

Based on this line of your error message: couldn't execute "usr/local/ImageMagick-6.1.5/bin/convert": no such file or directory
It seems the path is incorrect. You need a "/" before usr.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.
jack.elstner

Post by jack.elstner »

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I have imagemagick 7.0.10-19 downloaded on my mac, and tried to change the pathway in the default_exec file to the following:

/usr/local/imagemagick/7.0.10-19/bin/convert

This yielded the same error message that I got before. Is there a way to verify that the convert executable is indeed in this location? When I tried to re-download imagemagick on my mac, it said that it has already been downloaded, but it does not appear in my home directory anywhere.

Thanks so much!
aring

Post by aring »

In the terminal window, see if you can cd into the path (/usr/local/imagemagick/7.0.10-19/bin), is the convert executable located there?

Also in your terminal, you can type:

Code: Select all

which convert
When I do this, it says my convert command is located here: /usr/local/bin/convert, however if I type:

ls -al convert
I see that convert in the directory /usr/local/bin is actually a symbolic link to /usr/local/Cellar/imagemagick/7.0.10-20/bin/convert

You need to find your local installation of imagemagick v7 and use that as the path. If you are still having issues, please add some screen shots as you step through what I said above. Thanks!

PS: Do you have homebrew installed on your mac? If so, it is very easy to configure imagemagick correctly with all the appropriate files
jack.elstner

Post by jack.elstner »

hello,
I am unable to cd into the pathway. I also get a message saying "no such file or directory" when i try the ls -ad convert command. This makes me think that perhaps imagemagick did not successfully install on my computer. Should I try to install imagemagick again and then enter the pathname through the advanced/configured directories tab in the GUI when it successfully downloads?
Thanks
aring

Post by aring »

Yes, it does sound like an installation issue. I would suggest trying to re-install.

IF you have homebrew, it is super easy to install.
You type:

brew install imagemagick 
in the command line and it does everything for you.

If you want to add homebrew to your system, type this in the command line:

/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install.sh)"
Does this path exist on your system?
/usr/local/ImageMagick-6.1.5/bin/

If so, your computer is defaulting to this older installation and is not recognizing your newer installation.
jack.elstner

Post by jack.elstner »

Success! Thank you so much!

Return to “7. Air concentration calculations”