How to Retrieve Captex Control & Setup Files?

RickV
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

How to Retrieve Captex Control & Setup Files?

Post by RickV »

The instructions for these processes seem vague in the tutorial.html file. Can you elaborate?

Edit - This may be straightforward. I pressed "Retrieve" and "Retrieve Previously Saved Simulation" dialog opens prompting user for CONTROL file first. Perhaps "Setup" file prompt comes second.

Regardless, my attempt to retrieve control file resulted in the Fatal Error: alloc: could not allocate 800 new objects. Why? I did press "reset" in the main GUI beforehand.

Edit #2 - Using this method caused the Wish Application to experience a fatal error and it stopped running. I have repeated this response of retrieving the control file (Concentration menu) after closing and launching HySPLIT a second time.
Tianfeng.Chai
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Re: How to Retrieve Captex Control & Setup Files?

Post by Tianfeng.Chai »

I believe you are referring to the following instruction in Section 9.1.

"First press the center Reset button on the main GUI to clear all previous changes and then retrieve captex_control.txt into the Setup Run menu and captex_setup.txt into the Concentration Configuration menu"

You should have "captex_control.txt" and "captex_setup.txt" saved when you followed Section 8.
Otherwise you can use "captex2_control.txt" and "captex2_setup.txt" in the downloaded and unzipped Tutorial/captex directory.

To retrieve Control file, go to "Concentration" / "Setup Run" menu, press "Retrieve" to enter the Path/Name of the control file (or use "Browse" function there).

To retrieve Setup file, go to "Advanced"/"Configuration Setup"/"Concentration", you can find "Retrieve" button at the bottom as well.
RickV

Post by RickV »

Your references are correct. I completed Section 8 correctly and saved both captex files (i.e., these reside in the working directory). However, my efforts to execute these instructions have caused the Wish Application to stop working twice. When this occurs HySPLIT shuts down. With this in mind I have been unable to proceed beyond attempting to load the control file. Can you advise me to circumvent this problem?
Tianfeng.Chai

Post by Tianfeng.Chai »

Did you retrieve "Setup file" as well?
It should be retrieved from "Advanced"/"Configuration Setup"/"Concentration" menu.
RickV

Post by RickV »

When I change the order of retrieving these two files I can successfully load the setup file. That is, after pressing "OK" the dialog box closes automatically. I then tried to retrieve the control file and experience the same difficulty with this file and receive the Fatal Error. I do not know why because these are both 1 kB files.
Tianfeng.Chai

Post by Tianfeng.Chai »

Can you use "captex2_control.txt" and "captex2_setup.txt" in the downloaded and unzipped Tutorial/captex directory to continue?
You may want to copy them to "captex_control.txt" and "captex_setup.txt" as they will be referenced later.
RickV

Post by RickV »

Both of these files load successfully. Can/Should I send you my captex2_control.txt file for review?
Tianfeng.Chai

Post by Tianfeng.Chai »

Can you retrieve both Control and Setup files and run HYSPLIT successfully?
If not, please try to restart HYSPLIT and Reset before continuing.
RickV

Post by RickV »

Yes, sorry for the delayed response. I had difficulty with graphing I could not answer so I tried to load captex setup and control files from Tutorial folder and obtained the desired result.

Return to “9. Air concentration parameter sensitivity”