Conversion from GRID1 to ARL

General questions and postings pertaining to the use of HYSPLIT regardless of the platform. For platform specific questions, use the HYSPLIT Platform forums.
fppiguet
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Conversion from GRID1 to ARL

Post by fppiguet »

Hi,
Thank you for hysplit which is a useful tool.
I would like to convert a GRIB1 file into an ARL one. The GRIB1 starts at 12.00 and ends at 12.00 the next day (24h). It has a resolution of 2 km and weights 1.49 Go. It is limited to the ‘control’ part of the file, that is to say to 1 of the 21 fields of the GRIB1. It has not been issued by the NOAA.

I tried different strategies, for instance: ‘convert to ARL/NARR archive’, but the message is ‘Missing file: /users/fppp/hysplit4/narr-a_221_20170426_000_00.grb . . .’ then: ‘Missing file: /users/fppp/hysplit4/narr-a_221_20170426_010_00.grb . . .’ and so on to the 23th hour.

So my questions:
Is it correct to limit the GRIB1 to the field “control” when converting it to ARL?
What would be the correct way to convert such kind of file?

I thank you warmly in advance for your answer.

Frédéric
Attachments
The first lines of the GRIB1 file are:
The first lines of the GRIB1 file are:
Fantine

Re: Conversion from GRID1 to ARL

Post by Fantine »

There are converters for different met data listing on the tutorial page: https://ready.arl.noaa.gov/documents/Tu ... cnvrt.html
Even though some of them (such as NARR, Global lat-lon, and ERA-40) are in GRIB1 format, they have their own converter because variable names, header info, and file arrangements in the data may be different.
You may need to modify a conversion program to make it work with your GRIB1 file. Example converters for GRIB1 files can be found in ~/data2arl/api2arl directory.
fppiguet

Post by fppiguet »

Many thanks for your reply.
I followed your counsel.
It seems to me that /data2arl/api2arl is convenient to convert GRIB2 into ARL. Conversion from GRIB1 to ARL seems to be found only when following /data2arl/era52arl.
Please, let me know if I am wrong.
Again, thank you very much for your help.
fppiguet
Fantine

Post by Fantine »

Both api2arl and era52arl are dealing with GRIB format files. It is okay to start with era52arl if you see it fit better.
fppiguet

Post by fppiguet »

Many thanks
xinxuAdia
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Post by xinxuAdia »

Hello, have you successfully run the era52arl? I am also testing this conversion tool now but meet some error. Can I ask you one question about it? :D
fppiguet

Post by fppiguet »

No. Instead of working with Grib, we finally decided to work with gfs0p25 meteo files at: ftp://arlftp.arlhq.noaa.gov/archives/gfs0p25

Return to “Users”