Forecast Data

General questions and postings pertaining to the use of HYSPLIT regardless of the platform. For platform specific questions, use the HYSPLIT Platform forums.
Smaug
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Forecast Data

Post by Smaug »

Hi,

The NOAA FTP server provides GFS data at 0.5 spatial resolution. These files are however to large and I am looking for current forecast data that is compatible with HYSPLIT and ideally at 1 degree resolution. Does the NOAA FTP server provide such forecast data?

Kind Regards
glenn.rolph
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Forecast Data

Post by glenn.rolph »

The 1 degree GFS forecast files can be downloaded from the NOAA NCEP FTP server at:

http://ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov/data/nccf/c ... .YYYYMMDD/ where YYYYMMDD is the current year month and day. The file names of the 1 degree GFS are: hysplit.tXXz.gfsf where XX is the forecast cycle (00, 06, 12, 18).
Smaug
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Post by Smaug »

Hi,

I have checked the link and it seems there are no files for future times. The file at hysplit.t06z.gfsf for 11th October is the most recent file.

Each file is also around 700MB for a 6 hour forecast. This results in roughly 2.84GB for a single day. The 0.25 GFS degree resolution is 2.1GB per day.

I'm I missing something?

Thanks
glenn.rolph
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Post by glenn.rolph »

These files are not GRIB files, but rather these are ARL HYSPLIT formatted files that contain all the forecast hours. These files can be downloaded and used by HYSPLIT directly without having to convert them from GRIB to ARL HYSPLIT format.

Return to “Users”