Non-homogenous Time Steps for Trajectories

Post any questions or comments regarding the Desktop PC version of HYSPLIT. This includes the model execution, GUIs, results, or graphics. Be sure to include the operating system you are using (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, etc.
miriam
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Non-homogenous Time Steps for Trajectories

Post by miriam »

Hi,

Is it possible to create an array of times over which trajectories will run?

Specifically, I want to create a summarized trajectory for days when the wind was blowing in one particular direction. These days are unevenly distributed in time.

Thanks,
Miriam
barbara.stunder
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Non-homogenous Time Steps for Trajectories

Post by barbara.stunder »

There are two options to create a set of trajectories with a non-regular series of start times:
(1) Run the "Daily" option for the months of interest, and then delete the trajectories you don't need. In the GUI, Trajectory / Special Runs / Daily
(2) Create a script to loop through your specific dates. Example scripts/templates are in c:\hysplit4\examples\scripts
miriam

Post by miriam »

Thanks for responding.

If I go route (1), do you mean I should delete the "tdump" files that I don't want? If that is the case, how can I display a trajectory after deleting the tdump files that I don't want?
barbara.stunder

I assumed you know in advance which trajectories you want. Clearly, if you want to display a trajectory you need to keep the tdump file.
miriam

Post by miriam »

I do know which tdump files I want. My question is how do I then visualize the trajectory (in Google Earth) using the specific group of tdump files that I want to use?
barbara.stunder

To visualize a set of trajectories in Google Earth, you can run trajplot from the Command Prompt in c:\working,
..\exec\trajplot -i+INFILE ... -a3

INFILE is a text file in c:\working with the list of the tdump filenames, one tdump file per line.

There is an example INFILE at http://ready.arl.noaa.gov/documents/Tut ... _clus.html
The -i+<filename> is also described in the HELP in the GUI in Trajectory / Display / Trajectory (s230.htm)
zhy566

Post by zhy566 »

Hi, I am new to this model and I am having the same question.
I need to run trajectories from selected days among 1979-2016 DJF 6hr data. I am using the PC version of model.

Thank you Barbara for providing the two options. However, I still have two questions about these options and I could't find the answer in the forum.

-For option #1, can anyone please show me how to create a batch script for the model to run continuously from 1979-2016? Or at least for one year? I learned from the tutorial that I can change the setting in the script, but it was not shown in detail.

-For option #2, can somebody please show me the example scripts about templates or loop through specific dates? I have checked the model files on my PC but I couldn't find that example script.

Thank you very much!!

Yang
barbara.stunder

Both for #1 and #2 -

See the batch file that loops through days in a given month-year:
C:\hysplit4\examples\scripts\batch\Data_run.bat.

The "for %%D in" is the day loop. You would just need to add a month (and year) loop.
Opening the batch files that script calls, change the Data_convert.bat to Traj_run.bat,
and edit it for the starting year-month-day variables.
zhy566

Post by zhy566 »

Thank you! Now I see how to change the loop! However, I am still a bit confused with your reply about:
barbara.stunder wrote: Opening the batch files that script calls, change the Data_convert.bat to Traj_run.bat,
and edit it for the starting year-month-day variables.
What is the file name of the "script" you mentioned? And why do I need to change the Data_convert.bat to Traj_run.bat?
Thank you so much for your time!

Best,
Yang
barbara.stunder

Data_run.bat runs Data_hour.bat, which runs Data_convert.bat, which runs narr2arl (converts NARR meteorology format). You want to run trajectories so to do that, you need Traj_run.bat, which runs the trajectory program hyts_std. Data_run.bat and Data_hour.bat have all the loops.

Return to “HYSPLIT for PCs”