HYSPLIT installation dependencies

Post any questions or comments regarding the LINUX version of HYSPLIT. This includes the model execution, GUIs, results, or graphics. Be sure to mention the version of LINUX you are using.
akp
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

HYSPLIT installation dependencies

Post by akp »

Hello,

We are migrating our model to a new system and before I install HYSPLIT I will be installing all the dependant libraries. I will be running concentration code in serial and parallel as well as producing GRIB2 output files.

What are the most recent versions of all libraries that are compatible with HYSPLIT? I have installed the libraries previously for GRIB2 conversion but I want to make sure that if I download a new version it will still be compatible with HYSPLIT. Right now I believe the list of dependant libraries includes: netcdf, libz, bacio, jasper, png, g2, and w3. A colleague of mine also suggested I need the curl and szip libraries. Is this correct?

I previously used a pgi compiler but I would also like to know if gfortran would work as well for the work I outlined above?

Thank you.
Andre
ariel.stein
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: HYSPLIT installation dependencies

Post by ariel.stein »

For HYSPLIT you will need the following libraries
- netcdf (for WRF ARW processing)
- grib_api 1.8 and 1.9 that includes jasper (for GRIB2 processing)

You might want to try experimenting with the newest libraries and let the forum know if they still work. That will be really appreciated.

On the other hand, take into account that if you change your compiler ifort vs gfortran you will have to recompile the libraries accordingly.
akp

Post by akp »

I checked the forum and found someone with a similar problem and the solution suggested was to install svn. SVN is already installed on my system. This is what happens when I try to run update.sh:

Repository location (local, server):
server
Enter command (export, checkout, log, version):
export
Authentication realm: <https://svn.arl.noaa.gov:8443> CollabNet Subversion Repository
Username: ^Z
[6]+ Stopped ./update.sh
[vmap_admin@alaia hysplit]$./update.sh
server
checkout
Authentication realm: <https://svn.arl.noaa.gov:8443> CollabNet Subversion Repository
Username: ^Z
[7]+ Stopped ./update.sh
[vmap_admin@alaia hysplit]$./update.sh
server
version
Username:
glenn.rolph

Post by glenn.rolph »

We occasionally change the password for the SVN LINUX version. Please contact us at arl.webmaster@noaa.gov and request the new password for SVN HYSPLIT.
akp

Post by akp »

I have downloaded latest stable release of netcdf but am having trouble finding grib_api 1.8 and 1.9 downloads. I have downloaded grib_api 1.9.9 from https://software.ecmwf.int/wiki/display/GRIB/Releases which is the oldest version I can find. Do I really need two versions of same grib_api?
ariel.stein

Post by ariel.stein »

Please use the 1.9.9 and let us know if it works properly.
akp

Post by akp »

Hello,

It looks like I am getting a compilation error from netcdf reference. I am using netcdf version 4.4.3. I tried compiling with both LINKS options in ../arw2arl/Makefile but get similar errors each time. I have attached the compile.log with the LINKS netcdf3 option. I am using this because I compiled netcdf with the --disable-netcdf-4 option although I am not sure it liked that. I have included my config.log for netcdf build as well.
Attachments
config.log
netcdf-fortran-4.4.3 config log
(81.26 KiB) Downloaded 879 times
compile.log
HYSPLIT compile log
(13.91 KiB) Downloaded 741 times
akp

Post by akp »

I am still trying to sort out this netcdf issue. When I look at netcdf.inc it says netcdf version 3 in the header but I am still getting undefined reference statements in my compile.log file when trying to build executables in data2arl/arw2arl. I tried using netcdf-4.4.3 and 4.1.3 but get the same error either way. I can go back to a later version of netcdf if I know it is stable with gfortran. Please let me know if that is possible.
Fantine

Post by Fantine »

HYSPLIT can use either netcdf version 3 or 4. The error message indicates the netcdf was not installed probably on your machine that the arw2arl program could not find netcdf subroutines. Check the netcdf path and make sure you used the same compiler for netcdf installation.
akp

Post by akp »

Thank you! I had been installing netcdf with options I used for WRF but a slight adjustment made the difference. Interestingly I tried to disable netcdf-4 when I installed the netcdf libraries but ultimately the netcdf-4 option in data2arl/arw2arl was the option that worked.

Return to “HYSPLIT for LINUX”