Combining NAM and EDAS

Post any questions or comments regarding the LINUX version of HYSPLIT. This includes the model execution, GUIs, results, or graphics. Be sure to mention the version of LINUX you are using.
j.boehms
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Combining NAM and EDAS

Post by j.boehms »

Hi,

I am trying to run a back trajectory from the western United States to Siberia, Russia. I would like to be able to run the trajectory using the NAM and then have EDAS take over when the NAM ends. Is there a way to combine these two models into one run?

Thanks!
glenn.rolph
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Combining NAM and EDAS

Post by glenn.rolph »

Multiple meteorological data sets can be defined in the CONTROL file if you are using the off-line version of HYSPLIT. However, the NAM and EDAS only cover portions of North America, so you will need to use the GFS or GDAS data sets if you need transport from out of North America.
j.boehms
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Post by j.boehms »

Thank you for the response.

I think I was a bit confusing in my intial post.

My intentions are to combine two models (NAM and EDAS or NAM and GDAS) into one single metfile to run through Hysplit. I'm wondering how to combine two metfiles through terminal.
glenn.rolph
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Post by glenn.rolph »

Only similar met files can be combined, not different types of met files. So, you could concatenate multiple GDAS files together, but not GDAS say with GFS. You can list them both in the CONTROL file separately so that HYSPLIT will use whichever has the highest resolution at each time step.

To concatenate files that are consecutive in time (using the cat command in linux or type command for windows) to reduce the number of files do the following:

for instance:
cat FILEARL1 > FILEARL
cat FILEARL2 >> FILEARL
cat FILEARL3 >> FILEARL

Return to “HYSPLIT for LINUX”