Using Ensemble tools for events

dmv_fsf
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Using Ensemble tools for events

Post by dmv_fsf »

Can you use these ensemble tools when the individual member is an event, ie. an individual wildfire event? So each member is a different fire, ie. different start/end time and location, where my goal is to run HYSPLIT for thousands (maybe millions) of fires, and I'd like to calculate probabilities of exceedance (like from PM2.5) from these outputs. Would at least having a consistent CONUS grid, for example, be enough to get these tools working?

-David
alicec
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Using Ensemble tools for events

Post by alicec »

Yes you can do that. As long as the files have consistent grid, the conprob utility can combine them to produce those files. This sounds like what might be called a source term ensemble. I'm not sure how about the run-time speed with that number of input files though. If you try, let us know how it goes.
dmv_fsf
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Post by dmv_fsf »

Is the output files of conprob the same format as the cdump files used as input? I've been using the MONETIO package for reading the cdump files and I'm hoping that I could use that same package for the conprob files.
alicec
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Post by alicec »

Yes it should work.

If you are using MONETIO package and python you can also consider using the combine_dataset function to create an
xarray data-array with dimensions of time, height, lat (y), lon (x), ensemble, source.
We were using this to take cdump files created with different meteorological data along the ensemble dimension and
different source term along the source dimension.

Once the whole ensemble is in the array in this manner, it is relatively easy to calculate a variety of things.
you can see some examples here:
https://github.com/noaa-oar-arl/utilhys ... e_tools.py

Return to “12. Air concentration uncertainty”