Meteorological data profiler - Control or Setup file

Post any praises for the work of the HYSPLIT Developers and the products they make available to the public or any helpful criticisms so that we can do a better job of providing quality products.
villebm
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Meteorological data profiler - Control or Setup file

Post by villebm »

Hi!
I am wondering if someone knows whether it is possible to manipulate and execute the meteorological data profiler in a similar manner to adjusting the Control and Setup.CFG before executing hyts_STD.exe. I have so far not been able to find the Control file for the Profiler.

What I wish to accomplish is to extract meteorological data from the gdas file that is not possible to output along the trajectory (in HYSPLIT Advanced/Configuration Setup/Trajectory/add meteorology along trajectory (6)). However since the trajectory is long, using the user interface would be too slow and I would write some script to rerun the Profiler for each lat/lon along my trajectory.

Does someone have previous experience with this or do you think that I should look for solutions outside HYSPLIT?

Thank you!
barbara.stunder
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Meteorological data profiler - Control or Setup file

Post by barbara.stunder »

HYSPLIT can only output certain meteorological variables along a trajectory in the trajectory output file, tdump. Flags that indicate this are in the SETUP.CFG file. The code could be modified to be able to output other variables, but another way to get these variables is by using the program profile.exe, running once for each latitude and longitude endpoint. The 'profile' output is at the GUI / Meteorology / Display Data / Text Profile. Note 'profile' outputs values at the nearest meteorological grid point and at the meteorological levels.
villebm

Post by villebm »

Thank you for your answer Barbara. This is approximately how far I understood it, but unfortunately I am probably not able to manipulate the code to directly output the desired variables along the trajectory, hence, I will use the Profile.exe program.

Do you know if it is possible to manipulate the input to the Profile.exe (lat/lon and time) in a similar way to SETUP.CFG or control file? What I am looking for is a textfile that the profile.exe reads upon executing (the same input as in the user interface).

Thank you again,

profile.exe does not have an input file analogous to SETUP.CFG. Instead the inputs are entered on the command line. For example, say you want the profile at 40.0N, 90.0W, for every time period starting with the first time period of the file gdas1.apr14.w1, which is in c:\hysplit\working, run

C:\hysplit4\working>..\exec\profile.exe -d.\ -fgdas1.apr14.w1 -y40.0 -x-90.0 -t1

To see the command line options, run profile.exe without any command line options in the Command Prompt window, you will see the following "help":

Usage: profile [-options]
-d[Input metdata directory name with ending /]
-f[input metdata file name]
-y[Latitude]
-x[Longitude]
-o[Output time offset (hrs)]
-t[Output time interval (hrs)]
-n[Hours after start time to stop output (hrs))]
-w[Wind direction instead of components=1]
-p[process ID number for output text file]

NOTE: leave no space between option and value
villebm

Post by villebm »

Hi Barbara, I think your solution would work perfectly, however I am getting an error which I have troubles interpreting. Do you know what may cause this? My guess would be something with the coordinates, but I am out of luck here...

Here is my input and answer:

profile.exe -d[c:/hysplit4/working/] -f[gdas1.apr09.w1] -y[55] -x[13] -o[0] -t[3] -n[0] -w[0] -p[1]

forrtl: severe (64): input conversion error, unit -5, file Internal Formatted Read
Image PC Routine Line Source

profile.exe 000000014008FFA8 Unknown Unknown Unknown
profile.exe 000000014008B089 Unknown Unknown Unknown
profile.exe 000000014004C9DD Unknown Unknown Unknown
profile.exe 0000000140035317 Unknown Unknown Unknown
profile.exe 0000000140034BE1 Unknown Unknown Unknown
profile.exe 000000014001786E Unknown Unknown Unknown
profile.exe 00000001400155C3 Unknown Unknown Unknown
profile.exe 00000001400019A6 Unknown Unknown Unknown
profile.exe 000000014009218C Unknown Unknown Unknown
profile.exe 0000000140077D63 Unknown Unknown Unknown
kernel32.dll 00000000770F59ED Unknown Unknown Unknown
ntdll.dll 000000007732C541 Unknown Unknown Unknown

Thank you!
/Ville
barbara.stunder

I suggest starting with the minimum number of command line arguments to get a successful run, then tune it to exactly what you want. Minimum being -d -f -y -x.

Do not use the square brackets [ ]. Do not include "c:". For Windows, use the backslash \ instead of the forward slash /.
villebm

Post by villebm »

thank you!!

Return to “General Comments”