Suggestions or recommendations for CPU

Post any praises for the work of the HYSPLIT Developers and the products they make available to the public or any helpful criticisms so that we can do a better job of providing quality products.
RickV
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Suggestions or recommendations for CPU

Post by RickV »

I have participated in several workshops using an Intel Core i7-4500U and it performed satisfactorily. Unfortunately, the laptop featuring this mobile processor recently failed. I have not located information regarding what is most often referred to as 'System Requirements' and would find this information useful. Can anyone refer me to this type of reference?

Additional/related questions:
Would you anticipate any 22nm 3rd generation Core i7 to be suitable? Two specific examples I am looking into are the 35W 3612QE 4C8T and the 17W 3687U 2C4T. Note the 45W 3615QE 4C8T is also possible but may require mitigation to prevent elevated temperatures.
Cored1997
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Re: Suggestions or recommendations for CPU

Post by Cored1997 »

35W 3612QE 4C8T: This CPU appears to be a good choice with four cores and eight threads. It has a higher TDP, so you should have better sustained performance compared to lower TDP options.

17W 3687U 2C4T: While this processor has a lower TDP and is more power-efficient, it only has two cores and four threads. It may perform well for basic simulations but could be slower for more complex ones.

45W 3615QE 4C8T: This CPU has similar specs to the 3612QE but with a higher TDP. While it can deliver good performance, it may indeed require better thermal management to prevent overheating.

Return to “General Comments”