June 2019 HYSPLIT upgrade at NCEP

Announcements pertaining to HYSPLIT, training materials, dispersion related jobs or research positions, or related software. This list is moderated and will not be used for any discussion.
barbara.stunder
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

June 2019 HYSPLIT upgrade at NCEP

Post by barbara.stunder »

HYSPLIT will upgrade to NCEP's HYSPLIT version number 7.6 on or about the 12z cycle on June 12, 2019. See the Service Change Notice (SCN) for details (https://www.weather.gov/media/notificat ... pgrade.pdf).

All GFS and GDAS HSYPLIT files will then be from the upgraded NCEP GFS (with the Finite-Volume Cubed-Sphere Dynamical Core (FV3)).

The GFS-HYSPLIT half-degree forecast file (e.g. ftp://arlftp.arlhq.noaa.gov/forecast/20 ... 0z.gfs0p5f) and the GDAS half-degree archive files (e.g. ftp://arlftp.arlhq.noaa.gov/archives/gd ... 01_gdas0p5) will no longer be available. Instead there will be a quarter-degree GFS-HYSPLIT forecast and archive. Note vertical velocity will be included in the quarter-degree.
== Due to filesize, the 84-h forecast will be in three 24-h files and one 12-h file that can be concatenated. Filenames are given in the SCN referenced above.
== The archive files are daily files as for gdas0p5, but larger due to the horizontal resolution change.

The current quarter degree archive ftp://arlftp.arlhq.noaa.gov/archives/gfs0p25/ will be renamed subdirectory "gfs0p25.v1". The quarter-degree archive from the upgraded GFS model will retain the "gfs0p25" subdirectory name. There will be a period of overlap prior to the change at NCEP.

Additional changes noted in the SCN include the following:

== RAP-HYSPLIT formatted forecast files will no longer be available.

== HRRR-HYSPLIT formatted files will be created operationally by NCEP. The files have some different fields and the filenames differ (see SCN) from the HRRR currently available at ftp://arlftp.arlhq.noaa.gov/forecast/ and ftp://arlftp.arlhq.noaa.gov/archives/hrrr/.
==The change in the HRRR forecast files will begin with the NCEP change on June 12. See the SCN for filenames.
==There is no change in the pressure level HRRR files e.g. ftp://arlftp.arlhq.noaa.gov/forecast/20 ... 00z.hrrrpf
==At a date later this summer there will be a change in the archive when we start creating the archive from the new forecast files. The current archive will be terminated and renamed "hrrr.v1" and the new files will be in the "hrrr" directory. This will give a period of time in which both the old and new archives are available.
barbara.stunder

Re: June 2019 HYSPLIT upgrade at NCEP

We found bugs in the HYSPLIT-compatible GFS files related to precipitation. HYSPLIT should not be run with wet deposition until this is resolved.

hysplit.tCCz.gfs0p25f - The precipitation in the file is labeled TPPA (total accumulation) but the data are really TPP6 (up to 6-h accumulation). READY meteorograms (and similary 2-d graphical plots of precipitation) give correct 3-h precipitation every 6 hours, but zero precipitation at other times, and what is given on the meteorogram as Total precipitation is incorrect because the zero values may be incorrect. This affects the archive files in ftp://arlftp.arlhq.noaa.gov/archives/gfs0p25/. Archive files prior to this period are at ftp://arlftp.arlhq.noaa.gov/archives/gfs0p25.v1/

hysplit.tCCz.gfsf - The precipitation at forecast hour zero (+0) is bad.

hysplit.tCCz.gfsa - Because this is a concatenation of +0, +3-hour forecasts from successive cycles, every 00, 06, 12, 18 UTC precipitation is bad.

We expect to give NCEP revised code next week. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Another announcement will be made here once the files have been corrected.
twistersister
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Post by twistersister »

Did this upgrade kill all HRRR met files? I am unable to run the web-based version of HYSPLIT with any HRRR file. The start time fields do not populate, and I've only had this issue when trying to use the HRRR files.

Thanks for any help!
glenn.rolph

Post by glenn.rolph »

We just checked the web pages and all the dates load for the HRRR and we are able to run HYSPLIT with the HRRR forecasts. Please provide us with screenshots of your inputs so we can diagnose why you are not able to run with the HRRR.
twistersister

Post by twistersister »

My apologies; I am trying to run archive trajectories and it's the archived HRRR data that isn't working for me. See screenshot. When I try to run the model, I get a "bad request" screen and I believe it's due to the unpopulated start time fields. I tried changing them manually but there are no options given in the drop down boxes except for the hour.
Attachments
hysplit-hrrr.png
glenn.rolph

Post by glenn.rolph »

Thanks for letting us know. We fixed the problem. Let us know if you still have problems with using the HRRR.
twistersister

Post by twistersister »

Thank you! Much appreciated.
hbarbosa

Post by hbarbosa »

Hi, just to be clear, does the precipitation problem affects any of the v14 files? I mean, those that we can find here:
ftp://arlftp.arlhq.noaa.gov/archives/gfs0p25.v1/

Henrique
barbara.stunder

It does not. Further, the precipitation was revised to be 6-h accumulation for all the files in /pub/archives/gfs0p25.

Return to “Announce”