Mac OS Catalina: ps to pdf conversion keeps failing

aleya
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Mac OS Catalina: ps to pdf conversion keeps failing

Post by aleya »

Starting around the end of Section 4, I began having an issue when clicking 'Execute Display', I would get an error saying 'ps could not be converted to pdf'. Clicking the second time usually produced the desired plot. However, about halfway through Section 5, I no longer get any plots no matter how many times I click. I've checked and my Configuration File Unix X-windows directory is blank. Any tips on how to fix this? I also have Ghostscript installed but can't seem to use "gs X.ps" to view files either from the Terminal.
aring

Re: Mac OS Catalina: ps to pdf conversion keeps failing

Post by aring »

Can you do a reset, and close out of the gui? Then try starting the gui again, and re-doing a run from scratch with which you are having this issue. If the issue is not resolved, are you seeing the postscript file generated in your working directory? If so, you should be able to click on it from finder and it pop up. Please let us know if this does not resolve your issue.
aleya

Post by aleya »

I tried resetting and also closing out the GUI and restarting it, same problem persists. I can view the file if I do a command line ps2pdf and then double click to view it in Preview (which is my default pdf viewer). But clicking through 'Execute Display' seems to have stopped working altogether.
aring

Post by aring »

So the gui is creating the postscript file, yet you still cannot open it if you are in preview, scroll to the trajplot.ps file in the finder window and select it? If you cannot open that way, it seems it may be a preview problem. This might be the fix you need: https://macreports.com/preview-the-file ... pened-fix/

Also, please double check that you don't have any updates that are needed.
aring

Post by aring »

You can also check that the trajplot executable is working. Cd into your /hysplit/working/ directory where all the tdump files are located that you have been creating. Then type this:
Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 3.56.21 PM.png
You should see complete Trajplot at the bottom of the command line, and the file trajplot.ps created in the same directory.
Typing this into the command line: ls -rhlt
will show you the most recent file created. If trajplot.ps is not created, then it is a problem with the trajplot executable. I would suggest re-downloading and installing hysplit if this is the case.

I then open the figure in preview and see this:
Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 4.01.57 PM.png
Please let us know if you are still having issues.
aleya

Post by aleya »

The problem seems very intermittent, sometimes it won't open ps files after 6-7 clicks, sometimes it will open them on a first or second click. I have updated all my apps (not planning to upgrade to Big Sur yet).
aleya

Post by aleya »

The GUI is creating the postscript file fine in all cases, it's just not being viewed properly in Preview. As I said in my last post, it seems to be an intermittent problem, and also on my Mac side, and I have a work around (ps2pdf) so it's ok for now.

Return to “5. Trajectory options”