Re: Hysplit Trajectory in Windows - issue with starting day

Post any defects you find in the HYSPLIT software here. The HYSPLIT Developers carefully monitor this list and will work diligently to repair any reported problems. When posting a bug report, please specify both the HYSPLIT version and operating system you are using.
Anne70
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Hysplit Trajectory in Windows - issue with starting day

Post by Anne70 »

Hello, I am a home user of Hysplit, and I am running it on a PC laptop, Windows 32 bits (Vista).

In relation to the Gordon Bennett Gas Balloon competition, I would like to run Hysplit Trajectory. I know I can do it online, but I was only able to run the online model a few times, then I was unable to connect to the server again. Well I guess it's busy :-)

Ok so I downloaded everything on my laptop and so far so good. I was able to get the meteorological model, etc.

First issue: I was unable to enter a later time than the meteorological model to start the calculation. I am using the gfslrf (2.5 degrees) and downloaded the latest available which is the 06 UTC (I thought I could get the 12 UTC, but it seems it was not available yet). Even if I enter time 22 UTC (same day, that is today) to start the model calculation, it does not work. I got error message that my starting time is -prior- to starting time of the meteorological model, which is not the case.

After reading the User Guide, I saw that if I leave all to '00' in the time and date field, the trajectory calculation would start at the same time as the meteorological model is starting. So I did that and I got a first result which seemed to make sense (it displayed in GSview properly).

I wanted to re-run the trajectory model with a longer time window, and here problems started: the starting day of the trajectory calculation is BLOCKED on the 28th of September! I tried everything (starting again, deleting the parameter files and starting from scratch, downloading again the meteorological model), nothing helped. I can't get the start date changed to anything else than 28th of September.

I am stuck now, so I hope that somebody can help me with this issue :-)

Have a nice evening everybody,
Cheers
Anne
Stavanger. Norway
barbara.stunder
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Post by barbara.stunder »

Please see http://ready.arl.noaa.gov/READYmetdata.php. You should use both the gfsf (forecast hours +0 to +240) and gfslrf (forecast hours +240 to +384).
Anne70

Post by Anne70 »

Hello Barbara and thank you for your help. Indeed, by downloading the 1 degree GFSF model, I was able to run my trajectory from the present time.

I hadn't realized that GFSFlr was for 'long range'. I thought the GFSF models were only different is spatial resolution (0.5, 1 and 2.5 degrees). But of course it makes sense when one wants to calculate a pollutant trajectory to have another model from 10+ days and ahead. Very interesting.

I just recalculated a trajectory for the Gordon Bennett Cup balloons, and found that they might head to Greece... Let's see how this works out :)

Have a nice day,
Cheers
Anne
sonny.zinn
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Post by sonny.zinn »

Please see the reply from Barbara on September 19th.
DScott

Post by DScott »

hyavadavis wrote:
August 24th, 2021, 1:34 am
Anne70 wrote:
September 18th, 2016, 11:58 am
Hello, I am a home user of Hysplit, and I am running it on a PC laptop, Windows 32 bits (Vista).

In relation to the Gordon Bennett Gas Balloon competition, I would like to run Hysplit Trajectory. I know I can do it online, but I was only able to run the online model a few times, then I was unable to connect to the server again. Well I guess it's busy :-)

Ok so I downloaded everything on my laptop and so far so good. I was able to get the meteorological model, etc.

First issue: I was unable to enter a later time than the meteorological model to start the calculation. I am using the gfslrf (2.5 degrees) and downloaded the latest available which is the 06 UTC (I thought I could get the 12 UTC, but it seems it was not available yet). Even if I enter time 22 UTC (same day, that is today) to start the model calculation, it does not work. I got error message that my starting time is -prior- to starting time of the meteorological model, which is not the case.

After reading the User Guide, I saw that if I leave all to '00' in the time and date field, the trajectory calculation would start at the same time as the meteorological model is starting. So I did that and I got a first result which seemed to make sense (it displayed in GSview properly).

I wanted to re-run the trajectory model with a longer time window, and here problems started: the starting day of the trajectory calculation is BLOCKED on the 28th of September! I tried everything (starting again, deleting the parameter files and starting from scratch, downloading again the meteorological model), nothing helped. I can't get the start date changed to anything else than 28th of September.

I am stuck now, so I hope that somebody can help me with this issue :-)

Have a nice evening everybody,
Cheers
Anne
Stavanger. Norway
Same issue here.

Any Help?

Thanks.
Was your issue ever resolved? I’m experiencing a similar problem, and the information provided in Barbara’s post did not solve the issue. I will post a stand-alone thread this weekend.

Return to “Bugs”