HYSPLIT 5.1.0 - Win7 not working correctly

RickV
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

HYSPLIT 5.1.0 - Win7 not working correctly

Post by RickV »

HYSPLIT 5.1.0 works partially. When testing 2.3 my system does not generate 'concplot.ps' and I do not know why. Note 2.4, the batch file counterpart to 2.3 works as desired.

System details are as follows. The pc was setup for the 2020 workshop. Tcl/tk was upgraded as was HYSPLIT for the 2021 workshop.

GPL Ghostscript 9.5.2
GSview 5.0
ImageMagick 7.0.10-21 Q16-HDRI (2020-06-22)
Tcl/tk

HYSPLIT 5.0 was removed. Tcl/tk was installed and the hysplit icon was updated with the correct target.

Can you offer me assistance with this?
alicec

Re: HYSPLIT 5.1.0 - Win7 not working correctly

Post by alicec »

A few questions:

Did section 2.2 generating the trajplot.ps work ok?

Can you go to Advanced/ Configuration Setup / Set directories

and make sure the working directory is set correctly.
RickV

Post by RickV »

Yes, trajplot.ps was displayed as desired. Working directory = C:\hysplit\working as needed.
alicec

Post by alicec »

Does the input file exist in the working directory?

Can you open the MESSAGE file in the working directory with a text editor (such as notepad)
and see if there are any warning messages.
If you can attach the MESSAGE file here, that will work too.
RickV

Post by RickV »

MESSAGE file is attached. I changed the extension to *.txt in order to attach it. This was just generated immediately after attempting to run 2.3 again. I thought this would be best.
Attachments
MESSAGE.txt
(33.89 KiB) Downloaded 4176 times
alicec

Post by alicec »

All of your emissions are 0 so although cdump file exists, the concplot program
will not generate a post-script for no output.
Can you attach CONTROL and SETUP.CFG generated after this run.
Also you can try reset and running again.
RickV

Post by RickV »

Additional questions for you:

File location(s)? Presumably, C:\hysplit\working. I see CONTROL but no SETUP.CFG.

I chose to use 'Reset'. Afterward, I repeated 2.3 without performing 2.2 first. This process resulted in the desired postscript output for air concentration. I see CONTROL and the time stamp is correct relative to the time I re-ran the test. I still see no Setup.cfg in the working. Also, cdump timestamp is the same as CONTROL. In fact, only two *.cfg files exist in the working directory. These are ASCDATA.CFG and CONC.CFG.

Please advise.
alicec

Post by alicec »

So it is working after using reset?

It's ok if the SETUP.CFG file does not exists. HYSPLIT is just using the defaults for this case.
It sounds like something got changed so that no emissions were generated in the run.
If have this problem again, attach the CONTROL file (or cut and paste the contents as it is not that long).
RickV

Post by RickV »

Sorry for the delay. I attempted to run the Air Concentration tests using the CAPTEX data. I successfully completed all these tests using the CAPTEX files as required in 2.4 and Exercise #2. My situation appears to have improved, yet I do not know if I am completely comfortable. I will repeat the sequence of all tests in the order they are presented in the Tutorial to confirm all is okay during the lunch break.

A few new points that appear new as of using 'Reset'. Concentration Setup dialog 'was' reading (i.e., yesterday) 3 starting locations. Today it reads '1'. This is interesting. Recall, when using CAPTEX we are instructed to select the Dayton starting location. That is, a singular referent not multiple starting locations. Can you explain this?

Edit - I just opened the Trajectory Setup dialog. Perhaps, the (3) starting locations from this dialog overwrote/contaminated the Air Concentration Setup?

Thank you for your assistance!
christopher.loughner
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Post by christopher.loughner »

Pressing reset will use the default starting locations, which consist of 3 locations for trajectory simulations and 1 location for concentration simulations.

Return to “2. Testing the installation”