14.2 Simulation Problem

RickV
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

14.2 Simulation Problem

Post by RickV »

Where is Simulation log stored? I have attempted to execute 14.2 3x yet cannot find the reason. The contents of the Simulation Log looks initially (as shown in index.html) yet the simulation appears to stop after "SETUP.CFG" is written to the log.

Please advise when you have time to examine this. My ASCDATA.CFG is correct and I have been unable to identify anything else as a potential source of my difficulty. However, maybe we need to wait until tomorrow so I can download and install the unregistered version resulting from my experience with the ensemble simulations.
alicec

Re: 14.2 Simulation Problem

Post by alicec »

Hello,
Are you using the unregistered version? Is a MESSAGE file created by the run? If so, can you attach it?
aring

Post by aring »

Hi there,

I think I may have figured out your issue. As in the instructions, it says to import the CONTROL_dust0.txt and the SETUP_dust.txt files from the ~/Tutorial/dust folder. I did this and tried to run the model and had an error.
Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 4.51.24 PM.png
The problem is that the path to my met file was incorrect. Be sure to clear the met file and add in again by navigating to your /Tutorial/dust location.

Once I made this change the model ran fine.
Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 4.54.25 PM.png
RickV

Post by RickV »

Thank you for this. I will try this myself sometime this morning and edit this post with my experience.

edit @ ~2 pm - Yes, your suggestion also worked for me. Note I did install 5.00b this morning in view of the issues I experienced yesterday. However, I suspect additional information is required to improve my understanding of this. Why do I say this? The pointer for the met data contains the same information for location and filename. Are you telling me the pointer is initialized incorrectly despite featuring the correct information? Understand my concern? It looks like this:

1 - Met file pointer information is correct
2 - Despite this something remains incorrect with this...
3 - Clear met file
4 - Add same met file manually to correct this situation.

If the outline above is literally correct...I do not like.
aring

Post by aring »

Hi there,
So the issue with the hysplit version is that a few of the executables did not compile correctly, and therefore they did not work when called in theGUI. The new version (5.0.0b) has the correctly compiled executables so all the functions within the GUI should work now.

In the 14.2 simulation, you are directed to import control and setup file provided in the /Tutorial/dust, rather than importing your own file that you created in the GUI and saved by clicking "save as". Since this is a control file provided to you, it needs to be customized for your particular location of the /Tutorial/dust folder. Once you do this by clearing the met file, then re-adding it, you can click "save as" and overwrite the control file you retrieved so the next time it will contain the correct met file location for your system.

When you clear the met file, then re-add it, does the model run successfully?
RickV

Post by RickV »

Yes. I just wanted to ensure I understood why the issue existed. Your response helped me understand this. Thank you for everything.

Return to “14. Wildfire smoke and dust storms”