3D visualization of Hysplit output?

MarcelMeyer
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

3D visualization of Hysplit output?

Post by MarcelMeyer »

Which methods/tools exist for 3-D visualization of Hysplit output?
Would it be desirable to analyse simulation results in 3-D and if so, which aspects/types of visualization would be particularly interesting?
Which features are important for a tool/interface for 3-D visualization of Hysplit output?
christopher.loughner

Re: 3D visualization of Hysplit output?

Post by christopher.loughner »

Producing vertical cross-section and maps of trajectories and particle locations in dispersion simulations will be covered in this tutorial. Yes, it is desirable to analyze results in 3D (i.e., is an air pollution plume at the surface where people breathe or aloft?). What is important / interesting may vary depending on the science question. We welcome users who improve or develop new visualization routines to share them with us for inclusion for future HYSPLIT model releases.
MarcelMeyer

Post by MarcelMeyer »

Hi,
thanks for the response! I am working in a research Group that develops a tool for interactive 3-D visualization of gridded meteorological data and trajectories (called "Met3D"; Visual Data Analysis Group, University of Hamburg) and was going to try and process some of the Hysplit output such that it can be loaded into Met3D. In particular, I would be interested in loading the 3D concentration field at various time-steps and the 3D particle positions at various time-steps. Do the python plotting routines you have include a reader for the cdump and pardump files (and in which scripts can I find these?), which I could use for getting the data into a python numpy array or similar - for further processing?
aring
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Post by aring »

Hi there,

We have developed a few python tools located in two git repositories:
https://github.com/noaa-oar-arl/MONET
https://github.com/noaa-oar-arl/monetio

The monetio repository contains python tools to read cdump and pardump files into xarrays (which can easily be converted to numpy arrays) under the monetio/models folder. I encourage you to check out these resources. Thank you!
MarcelMeyer

Post by MarcelMeyer »

great - thank you very much! Will have a look and let you know ...
MarcelMeyer

Post by MarcelMeyer »

Hi, very helpful to have the reader for the PARDUMP file as a start. Thanks again. I ran one of the Hysplit tutorial examples (the Iceland volcano) and converted the particle and concentration output (PARDUMP, cdump) such that it can be processed by the visualization software Met3D. See attached screenshot-animations if you want to get an impression. Its just a quick proof-of-concept test, but I am thinking it may be worthwile putting together some converter-scripts for formatting Hysplit output such that it can be interactively analysed in 3D using Met3D? Met3D is open source and if you are interested, we will of course share any converter scripts, if/once we get around writing them a bit more cleanly.
Attachments
Test-Hysplit-Met3D-Vis-Volcano-AirConcentration.gif
Test-Hysplit-Met3D-Vis-Volcano-CrossSections.gif
Test-Hysplit-Met3D-Vis-Volcano-AirConcentrationSimulationParticles.gif
aring
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Post by aring »

This is fantastic, thanks for sharing! Would you mind also posting this here: https://github.com/noaa-oar-arl/monetio/issues

This way we can more easily discuss development and contribution to the monet and monetio git repos. Thank you!

Return to “10. Alternate display options”