How to run back-trajectories on a long period without having simultaneously all the meteorological files on my PC?

slasagni
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

How to run back-trajectories on a long period without having simultaneously all the meteorological files on my PC?

Post by slasagni »

I am trying to estimate back-trajectories (72h) on a long period (5-10 years), at least one per day. I do this to see if there is a correlation with the concentration of air pollutants detected in my area in order to estimate possible origin areas for these pollutants.
Until now I used the reanalysis meteorological files (2.5 degrees), but I would like to be more accurate as possible with the grid resolution. At the same time, I can’t have terabytes of meteorological files on my PC for this long period: is there a way to use better resolution meteorological files (e.g. GDAS 1° or gfps0.25) without having simultaneously all of these files on my PC?

I thought that it would be great to have a script that download few meteo files, run part of the trajectories, delete the meteo files, download new meteo files,...and so on. But I am not that expert (euphemism) in batch scripting, and in any case I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!
barbara.stunder
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: How to run back-trajectories on a long period without having simultaneously all the meteorological files on my PC?

Post by barbara.stunder »

Unfortunately, you need to download the meteorology. Scripts can be sometimes hard to setup but then you should save a lot of time for the runs. Start small and keep adding to it until you end up with what you want.

You may be able to essentially piece together batch files from the tutorial
Sec. 3.2 for meteo_ftp.bat (start with one gdas file)
Sec. 6.1 - the "Run Daily" capability has looping through date/time
Then delete the meteorology files.

Probaby run Sec 3.2 and 6.1 batch files separately to get each part to work. Then put them into one batch file. Then modify it for one month, then you can set up a loop around the whole thing for months in a year.

Return to “3. Gridded meteorological data files”