Problem to convert WRF files to ARL

LPalacios
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Problem to convert WRF files to ARL

Post by LPalacios »

I am working with Hysplit on Mac. I am trying to convert my NetCDF WRF files to ARL but when I open that option the program said: "NetCDF I/O is not available under Mac!" Is this a problem with Mac or do I make a mistake during the installation?

Thanks!
Fantine

Re: Problem to convert WRF files to ARL

Post by Fantine »

For converting the WRF files, you will need to have NetCDF library on your computer.
Go to the HYSPLIT tutorial section 3.3, the 1st paragraph on that page, then click the link "Network Common Data Form" which will take you to NetCDF website for the download and installation.
LPalacios

Post by LPalacios »

Thanks for your quick answer.

I have already installed NetCDF library on Mac, because I have worked before with that type of files.

Because of that, Could be this due to a problem with the built of HYSPLIT on Mac?
sonny.zinn

Post by sonny.zinn »

What version of HYSPLIT distribution are you using? Is it version 5.0.0c?
sonny.zinn

Post by sonny.zinn »

We found where the "NetCDF I/O not available under Mac!" is coming from. The HYSPLIT GUI does not support converting a WRF netCDF to ARL data file although the arw2arl command-line program is now available under the exec directory. The GUI code needs to be changed to resolve the error.
aring

Post by aring »

Hi there,

Yes, Sonny is right. The guicode needs to be adjusted. Thankfully, it is a simple fix.

Please navigate to /hysplit/guicode/hymenu.tcl and open the file in a text editor.
To make this function work on the mac distribution, you need to comment out the following bolded lines by adding a # to the beginning of the line as shown below:

469 proc arch_arw {} {
470 global tcl_dir tcl_platform
471 #if { "$tcl_platform(os)" == "Darwin" } {
472 # msg_box "NetCDF I/O not available under Mac!"
473 #} else {

474 source $tcl_dir/arch_arw.tcl
475 arw_arch
476 #}
477 }

Save your changes, exit the gui, and try using the function again. I ran a test on my mac and it converted wrf files into arl format. Please let us know if you have any issues.

Return to “3. Gridded meteorological data files”