Issues with plotting using pre-compiled RHEL7 version

padraigflattery
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Issues with plotting using pre-compiled RHEL7 version

Post by padraigflattery »

I have used HYSPLIT on my Windows laptop before and am now installing on a server as a contingency, and I installed 'hysplit.v5.2.0_CentOS7.9.2009.tar.gz' for RHEL7 from the downloads page (https://www.ready.noaa.gov/hyreg-bin/gethylinux.pl).

I ran the tests in the ./testing directory and all seems to be well, however when I try and display some output for a simple trajectory run and click 'execute display' - it tries to plot the results with Firefox rather than GhostView.

When I go to 'set directories' there is no option for Ghostscript path/executable like there is on my Windows install, instead it's been replaced by a web browser.

Can anyone help explain what's going on here? I would like to view the trajectories with GhostView/GhostScript but I'm not sure how to do it on this version...

sonny.zinn

Re: Issues with plotting using pre-compiled RHEL7 version

Post by sonny.zinn »

From version 5.2, the HYSPLIT graphical user interface creates plots in the SVG format and employs a web browser to show them. What you observed and described is expected.

HYSPLIT plotting programs CONCPLOT, TRAJPLOT, etc. can still produce plots in the Postscript format (unless the new +g1 option is specified). You can produce plots in the Postscript format. You might want to consider writing a Linux shell script to run HYSPLIT and produce graphics in the Postscript format.
padraigflattery

Re: Issues with plotting using pre-compiled RHEL7 version

Post by padraigflattery »

Thank you! I restarted the program and the images plotted in firefox as expected - I think it was an issue with my firefox version on RHEL7.
This is actually much more useful than the postscript format so I will continue to use html. Thanks again for the help.

Return to “HYSPLIT Workshop”