Hello,

Israel
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Hello,

Post by Israel »

I want to plot trajectories for season. I have few questions.
1) How can I plot trajectories in HYSPLIT in online?
2) I have downloaded the unregistered version and installed (with gostscript ,gostgum, and tcl) but I Am unable to run HYSPLIT model. What shall I do?

I shall be very thankful to you.

Thanks
barbara.stunder
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Hello,

Post by barbara.stunder »

A good reference is the Basic Tutorial. Download it, start at the beginning and go through it to the end of the trajectory sections.
https://www.ready.noaa.gov/HYSPLIT_Tutorials.php
Israel

Post by Israel »

Thank you for your advice. but can it be possible to run seasonal trajectories (e.g. backward) without downloading HYSPLIT model (in online version)?

Hope to hear from you.

Kind regards.

Israel.
barbara.stunder

Post by barbara.stunder »

Yes, but you need to do one at a time.
Israel

Post by Israel »

Dear barbara.stunder
I really appreciate your kind help. How can we run HYSPLIT model for seasonal trajectories. I have been doing only for weeks in month (w1,w2,w3,w4&w5) . In what way we can do for seasons(online)?
Hope to hear from you.

Kind regards.

Israel.
alicec

Post by alicec »

We encourage people who will be running many trajectories to download and run HYSPLIT from
their own computers. Options for running a large number of trajectories on our system is limited.

Please be very specific when describing what you want to do and what you have done.
Users configure HYSPLIT in many ways for many
different applications and we can answer your question more quickly if it is clear what you are trying to do
and what you have already done.

Have you been able to go through the Basic Tutorial?
The tutorial also includes sample scripts. You may find it expedient to modify one of the
provided scripts if you need to run a large number of trajectories.
Israel

Post by Israel »

I am studying the source and sink regions of atmospheric moisture and I am using two methods to meet my objective. Numerical water vapor tracer (HYSPLIT model) and physical water vapor tracer (isotope analysis) and I am collecting rainfall in my study area(for Isotope analysis) and I need a help for HYSPLIT model.
1. To run the HYSPLIT model for each of my sample 10 days back to the sampling date.
2. I want to plot trajectories for season(i.e FMAM,JJAS&ONDJ For three years 2018-2020)

And I have done the following.
1) I run the HYSPLIT in online. By selecting for meteorology GDAS 1. I have been doing only for weeks in month (w1,w2,w3,w4&w5) . because this is the only data available in archive but as I have mentioned above I need to run the model for each rainfall event in my study area this is because my data collection is event based not week based.
2) I have downloaded the unregistered version of HYSPLIT model and installed (with gostscript ,gostgum, and tcl/tk and ImageMagick ) it installed successfully but I Am unable to run it when I try to open It says how do you want to open this .tcl file? What shall I do?

Hope to hear from you.

Kind regards.
Israel
Fantine

Post by Fantine »

The online system is limited for running a large number of trajectories. But it can be done running the model on your own machine.
We have a good online tutorial for users desiring to do that: https://www.ready.noaa.gov/documents/Tu ... index.html

Here is the instruction for the installation of HYSPLIT and its required software): https://www.ready.noaa.gov/documents/Tu ... l_win.html (assuming you have a PC).
And these two posts are about opening tcl files:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1842
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1840

Another suggestion for beginner users is to participate in the HYSPLIT annual workshop (hands-on). We had the workshop 2020 in June.
The workshop's web page has all the links and detail about the workshop including the tutorial materials and the recordings: https://www.ready.noaa.gov/register/HYS ... agenda.php
Israel

Post by Israel »

Thank you for that helpful explanation. I will try and I hope It will work.
Israel

Re: Dear,Fantine

Post by Israel »

I want to say thank you very much. Because of your help I started to run the HYSPLIT model and still I need your help regarding on how to obtain the pressure level on the model output for three levels at 1000, 1500, and 2000 m above ground (corresponding to barometric surfaces of approximately 900, 850, and 800 hPa, respectively). I have tried to plot it but it is Zero level as the figure below.
What shall I do?
I shall be very thankful to you.
Thanks
Attachments
fig1.PNG

Return to “HYSPLIT Workshop”