CAPTEX example IC/BC data

HYSPLIT was originally designed to run offline utilizing meteorological data such as are provided by WRF-ARW. A new model framework has been developed that the revised HYSPLIT model is coupled inline with WRF-ARW to take advantage of the higher temporal frequency of the meteorological variables produced by the meteorological model, as well as using WRF-ARW's vertical coordinate scheme. The inline coupling approach is a more consistent depiction of the state of the atmosphere available to the dispersion model through the elimination of the need to interpolate the meteorological fields temporally and vertically. This forum was created to foster discussion on the use of the In-line WRF-HYSPLIT coupling.
steve.masters
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

CAPTEX example IC/BC data

Post by steve.masters »

I am trying to set up and run the CAPTEX test case downloaded from the web site. When I extract the wrffdda*, wrfbdy* and *wrfinput* files, they are all named as domain d02. There are no outer domain initialization files in the archive (and, in any case, max_dom=1 for all of the test cases). Are there additional IC/BC files that I need to run the tests?
Fantine

Re: CAPTEX example IC/BC data

Post by Fantine »

You can rename the files to "d01" or make symbolic links as "d01" to those files. The namelist.input for the CAPTEX test case was set for the domain matching with WRF input files in this test case.

The WRF domain for CAPTEX was configured to two nested domains (27-km and 9-km grid spacing). You can find out more detail in this published paper: http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10. ... -14-0247.1
We ran the model in one way nesting. When d01 results were generated, we did ndown to d02 and ran all other simulations including the inline HYSPLIT for d02 only.
amankhan

Post by amankhan »

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to run the inline-hysplit model with CAPTEX input data (wrfinput_d02 and wrfbdy_d02) for default trajectory options with namelist.input and CONTROL files, which are provided in the sample CAPTEX test data. But I'm getting segmentation fault after running wrf.exe
I have attached the namelist, control, rsl.out and rsl.error files.

Thanking you,
Amank
Attachments
CONTROL.txt
(408 Bytes) Downloaded 4161 times
namelist.input.txt
(7.02 KiB) Downloaded 4115 times
rsl.out.rar
(21.58 KiB) Downloaded 4134 times
Fantine

Post by Fantine »

There is a bug in running the trajectory calculation. Please use the attached hyconc.F file - place it in the /hysp directory and then re-compile the model.
Attachments
hyconc.F.gz
(15.84 KiB) Downloaded 4140 times
amankhan

Post by amankhan »

Thank you very much for fixing the problem. I have compiled the inline-HYSPLIT model by replacing the hyconc.F file as provided by you.
The model runs completely on executing wrf.exe now.
But after running for the duration in the namelist option, the wrfout file has empty fields for HYCSUM, HYOLAT, HYOLAN.
I have kept the timestep to be 60 seconds for the namelist, and started the trajectory time only after the wrf initial time.
I have attached the namelist, control and rsl.out files here. Could you kindly identify the problem?
Attachments
rsl.out.rar
(172.55 KiB) Downloaded 4191 times
Fantine

Post by Fantine »

Please check the starting time of the trajectory calculation in the CONTROL file. It seems to be set to 17 UTC. But your WRF run was only for 6 hours. The trajectory calculation did not started at all that there was no value for HYOLAT and HYOLAN.
For running trajectory, HYCSUM (concentration) should be zero.
amankhan

Post by amankhan »

Yes, the starting time in CONTROL file is at 17 UTC. But the WRF model is run for 3 days and 6 hours. So I don't understand why the fields of HYOHGT, HYOLAT and HYOLON are all zero throughout.
I have attached the CONTROL and namelist.input for the experiment.
(rsl.out is same as in the earlier post)
Attachments
CONTROL.txt
(409 Bytes) Downloaded 4102 times
amankhan

Post by amankhan »

The namelist file for earlier post is attached here.
Attachments
namelistinput.txt
(7.02 KiB) Downloaded 4120 times

Return to “In-line WRF-HYSPLIT coupling”