Data Format

asal
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Data Format

Post by asal »

Hello
I have a question.  Except for the actual meteorological data as output WRF, can be artificial data manually entered into the HYSPLIT? For example, a data with .txt format can be converted for HYSPLIT?
glenn.rolph

Re: Data Format

Post by glenn.rolph »

Yes, you can use the program sfc2arl.exe to convert user entered surface data to a HYSPLIT formatted file. See /hysplit4/html/S128.htm in the html directory of PC HYSPLIT for more details on the configuration. There is also a program to convert a single vertical profile of meteorological data to HYSPLIT formatted file using snd2arl. Details on snd2arl can be found by running snd2arl.exe in the PC exec directory with no command line options.

Warning, if the single profile or infrequent surface data does not adequately represent the true atmosphere, especially away from the location of the observation, the HYSPLIT results will also not be representative. Running a mesoscale model such as WRF, is a better option in most cases.
asal

Post by asal »

Is it possible to convert the observation data from observation stations?
glenn.rolph

Post by glenn.rolph »

As I mentioned in my last post, yes, you can enter your surface station data for one location using the sfc2arl.exe program and HYSPLIT can use this data, however it may no adequately represent the 3D characteristics of the real atmosphere and should not be used more than a few kilometers from the observation location.
asal

Post by asal »

My data file includes wind direction and speed, temperature, pressure, humidity, altitude, etc., for different levels of the atmosphere.
Can be used sfc2arl or snd2arl programs?How to use this program?!
I'm going to be a test of the data.
glenn.rolph

Post by glenn.rolph »

There is no formal help for these conversion programs, however the attached html help file from the PC version of HYSPLIT gives instructions on how to enter surface data into the program and you can just run the two programs without any command line options for help on each program.
Attachments
S128.pdf
(95.78 KiB) Downloaded 2132 times
Smaug
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Post by Smaug »

Can you please confirm what the actual units of these variables actually are? I believe the WSPD is in knots and not in m/s as it says in the document. According to this the WSPD is in knots. https://ready.arl.noaa.gov/hypub/flddesc.html
Smaug
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Post by Smaug »

S141.html also says T02m is in Kelvin but https://ready.arl.noaa.gov/hypub/flddesc.html states that T02M should be in degrees?
glenn.rolph

Post by glenn.rolph »

The inputs to sfc2arl should be entered in the GUI using the following units:

DIR: deg.
SPD: meters/sec
MixLayer: meters

The binary output file (stndata.bin by default) then contains the following:

PRSS: hPa
HGTS: meters
TEMP: Kelvin
UWND, VWND: meters/sec
UVAR, VVAR, WVAR: unitless

You may be confusing the output you get when you use the "Text Profile" GUI program to view the data in the file. That program converts the final outputs to a file (profile.txt) with these units:

HGTS: meters
TEMP: Degrees Celsius
UWND,VWND: meters/sec
UVAR, VVAR, WVAR: unitless
TPOT: degrees Kelvin
WDIR: degrees
WSPD: meters/sec

Return to “MeteoInfo Software”