Batch export to shapefile?

General questions and postings pertaining to the use of HYSPLIT regardless of the platform. For platform specific questions, use the HYSPLIT Platform forums.
mwj202
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Batch export to shapefile?

Post by mwj202 »

Hi All,

I would like to be able to generate trajectory 'GIS' text files and then export to shapefile without having to do this manually in display > trajectory and then utilities > GIS to shapefile. Is it possible to do this in batch within the GUI?

Thanks for any help!

Matt
glenn.rolph
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Batch export to shapefile?

Post by glenn.rolph »

There is no option to create a shapefile in one step in the GUI. You could create your own tcl script that does this and add it to the GUI or run a batch script like the following to do that same (this batch script creates a CONTROL file, runs the model, creates the postScript file and then creates the shapefile)...

echo 00 00 00 %1 >CONTROL
echo 1 >>CONTROL
echo 40.0 -90.0 10.0 >>CONTROL
echo 48 >>CONTROL
echo 0 >>CONTROL
echo 10000.0 >>CONTROL
echo 1 >>CONTROL
echo ./ >>CONTROL
echo oct1618.BIN >>CONTROL
echo ./ >>CONTROL
echo tdump.%1 >>CONTROL

\hysplit4\exec\hyts_std.exe
\hysplit4\exec\trajplot.exe -itdump.%1 -a5 -oplot%1
\hysplit4\exec\ascii2shp.exe -i trajplot lines <GIS_traj_ps_01.txt
rem \hysplit4\exec\txt2dbf.exe -C7 -C9 -C5 -C9 -d, -d, -d, GIS_traj_ps_01.att trajplot.dbf
mwj202

Post by mwj202 »

Thanks for your help Glen!!

I just have one question and would appreciate help from anyone who can do so. I am struggling to invoke HYSPLIT in Tclsh85 using the code that Glen provided, pasted below.

Code: Select all

rem \hysplit4\exec\txt2dbf.exe -C7 -C9 -C5 -C9 -d, -d, -d, GIS_traj_ps_01.att trajplot.dbf
When running this I get the following error: invalid command name: "hysplit4exechyts_std.exe". I'm pretty sure I need to add a command before (exec or open?) but adding in exec didn't work either (couldn't execute "hysplit4exechyts_std.exe" : no such file or directory). As you can see the backslashes are removed.. not sure if this means anything. I also tried including the full path (C:\hysplit4\exec\hyts_std.exe).

Sorry if there is a really obvious answer but this is the first time I've attempted anything like this :roll:

Best wishes,
Matt
glenn.rolph
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Post by glenn.rolph »

The back slashes are needed, they are the directory names of where the executable file hyts_std.exe resides.
mwj202

Post by mwj202 »

Thanks Glenn,

Sorry for the confusion. I included the backslashes in the code but in the error messages that are produced they appear to have been removed. Just wondering - is there a reason that the rem command is included on the 4th line but not on the first 3 lines (pasted again below)?

I have also now tried using braces as below:

exec {C:\hysplit4\exec\hyts_std.exe}
exec {C:\hysplit4\exec\trajplot.exe -itdump.%1 -a5 -oplot%1}
exec {C:\hysplit4\exec\ascii2shp.exe -i trajplot lines <GIS_traj_ps_01.txt}
exec {C:\hysplit4\exec\txt2dbf.exe -C7 -C9 -C5 -C9 -d, -d, -d, GIS_traj_ps_01.att trajplot.dbf}
I get a different error "forrt1: severe (59): list-directed I/O syntax error, unit-5, file Internal-Directed Read" + a table with image, PC, Routine, Line, Source headings - "Unknown" in Routine, Line, Source.

Not sure if this helps but I'm running on Windows.

Best wishes,
Matt

Return to “Users”