vmixing code

General questions and postings pertaining to the use of HYSPLIT regardless of the platform. For platform specific questions, use the HYSPLIT Platform forums.
huangj1311
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

vmixing code

Post by huangj1311 »

Hey all,

I am using vmixing with EDAS 40 to calculate the boundary layer height, I am running this on a window computer with vmixing.exe file. I am wondering if anyone can share the code to me not a exe file. I want to look into the code and see how it extract PBL from EDAS or how the code calculate PBL.

Thank you
ariel.stein
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: vmixing code

Post by ariel.stein »

When you run vmixing you have the option to set two flags (Vertical Turbulence method and BL stability) that determine the parameterizations that are used to calculate the stability parameters.
Below is a description of the available options and a link to the full documentation of the parameterizations used.

Vertical Turbulence

KBLT is a flag used to set the vertical turbulence computational method, that is how the turbulent velocity variances are computed from either the heat and momentum fluxes or the model profiles of wind and temperature. Two different computational approaches (Beljaars/Holtslag and Kanthar/Clayson - see the technical documentation for details (http://www.arl.noaa.gov/documents/reports/arl-224.pdf) are defined. Another option is the use the TKE (Turbulent Kinetic Energy) output from the meteorological model provided in the input meteorological data file. Not all model data contain the TKE field. The last option is a special case where the input meteorological data are assumed to contain the 3-dimensional component velocity variance fields, usually a measured component.
1 1 - Beljaars/Holtslag and Betchov/Yaglom
2 2 - Kanthar/Clayson (DEFAULT)
3 3 - TKE field from the input meteorology data file
4 4 - Measured velocity variances from the input meteorology

Boundary Layer Stability

KBLS defines how the stability is computed. Normally when turbulent fluxes (heat and momentum) are available from the meteorological data file, they are used to compute stability. Sometimes it may be desirable to force the stability to be computed from the wind and temperature profiles, especially if the fluxes represent long-time period averages rather than instantaneous values. If fluxes are not present, the profiles are used for the stability computation.
1 1 - Heat and momentum fluxes (DEFAULT)
2 2 - Wind and temperature profiles

Return to “Users”