Domain/grid spacing

General questions and postings pertaining to the use of HYSPLIT regardless of the platform. For platform specific questions, use the HYSPLIT Platform forums.
ariel.stein
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Domain/grid spacing

Post by ariel.stein »

The user entered data file generates a uniform meteorological field that does not have any resemblance to reality. It was designed for testing purposes only. I would not recommend the use of this data for the resolution you are working on.
ariel.stein

Post by ariel.stein »

In that case you might want to test using TKE to calculate the turbulence.
ariel.stein

Post by ariel.stein »

Please check the following link for information about User Entered Meteorological Data:
http://ready.arl.noaa.gov/documents/Tut ... enter.html
smeech1

Post by smeech1 »

My account ('smeech') was corrupted the other night so new username is smeech1. All of my posts above were deleted so I'll try to remember where we were in this thread.

The post above the last one I had asked if there was any other way to input user data. I had used the User Entered Met. Data Tutorial to do this before but you had said:
ariel.stein wrote:The user entered data file generates a uniform meteorological field that does not have any resemblance to reality. It was designed for testing purposes only. I would not recommend the use of this data for the resolution you are working on.
I had thought that that was the case. You would only use User Entered data to test the model only, not actually use it for a simulation. Is this not the case? Is it grid size dependent? I'm using ~1x1km grid spacing.

Since I thought that I could not use User entered profile data, I had been manipulating wrfout files with the variables that HYSPLIT is using:
3D Variables: U, V, W, T, P, QVAPOR
2D Variables: HGT, PSFC, RAIN, PBLH, UST, ZNT,
SWDOWN, HFX, LH, T2, U10, V10

Are these the only variables that Hysplit is reading to run the dispersion? Or will it read other variables if they are present that are not on this list? This has been my solution to not being able to input profile data like in the User Entered Data area. If I can however input User Entered Data then I would rather do that.

So is the User Entered Data only for testing purposes or not?

Thanks

Return to “Users”