Aggregating many simultaneous concentration files

General questions and postings pertaining to the use of HYSPLIT regardless of the platform. For platform specific questions, use the HYSPLIT Platform forums.
dvabry
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Aggregating many simultaneous concentration files

Post by dvabry »

I am exploring the idea of using HYSPLIT to simulate many active simultaneous wildfires. To do this, I have run each wildfire event individually (with each event being run in parallel over a distributed cluster). The result is many concentration files which overlap in both time and space. I need to be able to combine these files into a single gridded set of concentration time series.

I have attempted to use conmerge to do this, however I have not been able to get it to work -- perhaps because there are too many files? It has worked for smaller subsets of the output files, but not the full batch. Instead, I have converted my output files to netCDF at the end of each parallel process so that I can attempt to combine them manually.

My question: what is the correct way to sum concentration files? Is it a literal sum of concentration along the process dimension of my array? When I try this, I get very very large concentration values and I'm concerned that the correct approach might not be a simple linear sum.

It may also simply be the settings I have used -- having taken the wildfire example as a template.

Return to “Users”