Is possible to add more decimals to output files?

General questions and postings pertaining to the use of HYSPLIT regardless of the platform. For platform specific questions, use the HYSPLIT Platform forums.
Charlie
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Is possible to add more decimals to output files?

Post by Charlie »

Hello!

Is possible to add more decimals to output files? I'm working in a little region with hysplit, so when I got trajectory files, these have latitude and longitude with 3 decimals but I want they have more decimals. Is it possible?

Regards!
sonny.zinn

Re: Is possible to add more decimals to output files?

Post by sonny.zinn »

The number of digits for latitudes and longitudes in trajectory dump files are fixed. They cannot be changed. The file format for trajectory dumps is described in https://www.ready.noaa.gov/hysplitusersguide/S263.htm. The position latitude and longitude use the F9.3 format which says three digits below the decimal point.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Oh ok, thanks!
herbertfi
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Post by herbertfi »

sonny.zinn wrote:
December 19th, 2022, 7:51 am
The number of digits for latitudes and longitudes in trajectory dump files are fixed. They cannot be changed. The file format for trajectory dumps is described in https://www.ready.noaa.gov/hysplitusersguide/S263.htm. The position latitude and longitude use the F9.3 format which says three digits below the decimal point.
hello,
if I want to have more digits, is there something I can do? can I modify the files although I am not a programmer? ok thank you
Last edited by herbertfi on September 18th, 2023, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sonny.zinn

Post by sonny.zinn »

If the file format were to be changed, it should be done by the HYSPLIT developers. It is easy to change the FORTRAN FORMAT statement to allow more digits. However, it is not so to confirm the change would not break existing tools and software programs.

On a separate note, HYSPLIT performs most of internal calculations using single-precision floating numbers. These have about 6 to 7 decimal digit precision. For example, a trajectory dump file has a longitude value of -123.456. This already has 6 digits. Printing an extra digit may not be meaningful.

Return to “Users”