Average Meteorological data

General questions and postings pertaining to the use of HYSPLIT regardless of the platform. For platform specific questions, use the HYSPLIT Platform forums.
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Average Meteorological data

Post by 559806 »

Hello users,
I am using GDAS 1 Archive and have weekly meteorological files for 4 months. Can anybody tell me how to get an average meteorological data for these 4 months? I have found 'data_avrg' in Meteorological Data Editing from HYSPLIT user guide. Is this program used in averaging meteorological data? If yes please tell how to use this? Is there any script for this?. Please respond to my query, it is very urgent.
Thank you.
alicec

Re: Average Meteorological data

Post by alicec »

You can find the description of the data_avrg utility program here (as well as other utility programs).
https://www.ready.noaa.gov/hysplitusers ... #data_avrg
It sounds like you want to get a time average of the data over 4 months?
We do not have a utility that does this.
If you just need to know the average values you can use one of the utilities to write out
the variables you are interested into an ascii file and then average them.
See utilities such as profile, xtrct_stn, vmixing,
yaqiang

Post by yaqiang »

you may try MeteoInfoLab to read and average ARL meteorological data. Following is an example script to read surface pressure data array (3 dimensions of time, latitude and longitude), and average along time dimesion (axis=0) to get the timely averaged pressure (2 dimesions of latitude and longtude). Then 'ncwrite' function can write the avereaged data array to a netCDF data file. The plotting code are for testing.

Code: Select all

f = addfile('D:/Temp/arl/gdas1.jul09.w5')
pr = f['PRSS'][:]
pr = pr.mean(axis=0)

#Save data array
ncwrite('D:/Temp/test/press_mean.nc', pr, 'pressure')

#Plot test
geoshow('country', edgecolor=[0,0,255])
contourf(pr, smooth=False)
title('Pressure - timely average')
colorbar()
For 4 months data, you can use for loop to read all data files. To avoid too big memory usage, the data array can be summed for each data file (pr = pr.sum(axis=0)) and add all data arrays from all data files, then divided by total time numbers ('f.timenum()' can get time number of the data file object).

Post by 559806 »

Than you for the reply

Post by 559806 »

Thank you alicec for your kind reply. I think xtrct_stn will work for me. As I am not good at using command line and in executing xtrct_stn utility, errors keep occurring. Can you provide an example script for this?

Return to “Users”