Default SETUP.CFG namelist file parameters

General questions and postings pertaining to the use of HYSPLIT regardless of the platform. For platform specific questions, use the HYSPLIT Platform forums.
afaf2021
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Default SETUP.CFG namelist file parameters

Post by afaf2021 »

Hello!

I am using HYSPLIT version: hysplit.v5.2.1.
I read the User guide's Advanced / Configuration Setup / Namelist Variables Section : https://www.ready.noaa.gov/hysplitusersguide/S410.htm
and was confused about a few of the default settings for variables in SETUP.CFG. I want the concentration run defaults for the SETUP file and not defaults for the GUI if they are different.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MHRS: Expected the default was 9999 but is using 0.
Is the default 9999 if running trajectory model and 0 for concentration?
TOUT: Expected the default was 60 but is using 0.
Is the default 60 if running trajectory model and 0 for concentration?
KWET: Expected the default was 0 but is using 1.
There is a mismatch in user guide here
Namelist Variable section says : KWET=0 precipitation from an external file
Variables Not Set in the GUI says :
KWET (1) - when (1=default) the code uses the precipitation values in the defined meteorological input data file. When KWET=2, the code will try to open a file called raindata.txt which defines the directory, base, and suffix name of an external precipitation file that is in the ARL standard format. The text file also defines the 4-character name of the precipitation variable as well as the conversion factor from file units to model units (meters/min). The file name is automatically constructed from the prefix and suffix names using current calculation date following the convention: {prefix}{YYYYMMDD}{suffix}. If the raindata.txt file is not found in the startup directory, the model will create a template for manual editing and then stop.

Is KWET's default value different based on the met data file? Is it always the same value?
SEED: Expected the default was -1 but is using 0.
SEED (0) The value of the random seed is set to -1+SEED. Default value of SEED is 0, thus the default of the random seed for the single processor version is -1.

Is -1 the GUI default and 0 is the default in the SETUP.CFG file?

WVERT=Expected the default was false but is using true.

WVERT=.FALSE. Vertical interpolation scheme for WRF fields .FALSE.:HYSPLIT scheme .TRUE.:WRF scheme
WVERT sets vertical interpolation scheme for WRF fields. False = uses the HYSPLIT vertical interpolation scheme. TRUE = uses the WRF vertical interpolation scheme. The WRF vertical interpolation scheme mimics the vertical coordinate transformations within the WRF model. The difference between the two schemes is how they estimate the change in height between vertical levels. The HYSPLIT scheme calculates the change in height using the hypsometric equation while the WRF scheme uses the eta level, WRF dry mass, and WRF dry inverse density.
WILDFIRE AND VOLCANO DIFFS ARE THE SAME.

Is this default dependent on other settings? The user guide says it is false but I see it is set to true in my MESSAGE file when I do not include it in SETUP.CFG

VARSIWANT Default for concentration

VARSIWANT="TIME","INDX","LONG","LATI","ZAGL",
"SIGW","TLGR","ZSFC","TEMP","SAMT","FOOT",
"SHTF","DMAS","DENS","RHFR","SPHU","DSWF",
"WOUT","MLHT","PRES", 80*" ",

Where did 80*" ", come from here?

Thank you very much :)

Return to “Users”