output pdf images?

General questions and postings pertaining to the use of HYSPLIT regardless of the platform. For platform specific questions, use the HYSPLIT Platform forums.
m.andreae@mpic.de
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

output pdf images?

Post by m.andreae@mpic.de »

I am using the current version of hysplit, which creates html files as output. How can I still make vector graphics pdf files?
sonny.zinn

Re: output pdf images?

Post by sonny.zinn »

Converting HYSPLIT plots in html to pdf is a two step process. First, the splitsvg program included in the HYSPLIT distribution is employed to extract svg plots embedded in html. For example, extracting svg plots from concplot.html is done:

..\exec\splitsvg -iconcplot.html -oconcplot.svg

which will produce F01-concplot.svg, F02-concplot.svg, etc. for the first frame (or plot), the second, etc.

Conversion of svg to raster image pdf is simple by using the convert program from ImageMagick, for example, convert F01-concplot.svg trajplot.pdf. However, I am not sure about conversion to vector graphics pdf. A web article suggests to use cairosvg.
m.andreae@mpic.de

Re: output pdf images?

Post by m.andreae@mpic.de »

Hi-, and thanks for the instructions.
In the meantime, I figured out that it can also be done in the gui. If you go Concentration => Utilities => SVG to Image, you get a default output file that is concplot.gif. If you simply change the ".gif" to ".pdf", it produces a pdf file! The resulting file is, however, a raster graphics file.

SVG is actually a vector format, so it seems the best way to get a vector pdf is to extract the svg from the html, as you suggested, and the import the svg into Adobe Illustrator, from where it can be saved as pdf.

Return to “Users”