Scripting

General questions and postings pertaining to the use of HYSPLIT regardless of the platform. For platform specific questions, use the HYSPLIT Platform forums.
MichaelK
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Scripting

Post by MichaelK »

Dear all

I want to run dispersion simulations of pm 2.5 originating from wildfires. I have a pretty large dataset of wildfire emissions consisting of lots of locations during multiple years. I worked through the tutorials (which are excellent by the way!) to get familiar with Hysplit. I know how to select the necessary specifications through the GUI but since I am working with a large dataset I have to automate as many steps as possible. I tried the SplitR package for R but unfortunately there seem to be issues with the package. I assume scripting would be the best option. Since I have no experience I was wondering if anyone knows if there are additional resources to get familiar with writing scripts for Hysplit. I saw that there is some information in the tutorials. Does anyone know if there is additional information?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best
Michael
sonny.zinn
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Scripting

Post by sonny.zinn »

Most sections of the HYSPLIT tutorial come with scripts. The scripts may be modified to suit your needs.

Let's take, as an example, Sec. 14.1 for Fire Smoke at https://www.ready.noaa.gov/documents/Tu ... smoke.html. Under the section title, you will find a penguin icon and a terminal-and-gear icon. By clicking the penguin icon, you can download a shell script for Linux/Apple computers that performs the steps described on the page. The other icon is to download a batch script for Windows PC. Download a script depending on your computer to your HYSPLIT working directory. Open a terminal and change directory to the working directory. Execute the script for a test drive.
MichaelK
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Re: Scripting

Post by MichaelK »

Thank you, that's what I was looking for.

Michael

Return to “Users”