Interpretation and sanity check. What's next?

General questions and postings pertaining to the use of HYSPLIT regardless of the platform. For platform specific questions, use the HYSPLIT Platform forums.
mheron-UCSD
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Interpretation and sanity check. What's next?

Post by mheron-UCSD »

Hello all, thank you in advance for reading this post!
I am hoping to get some advice from you all about my process and results.

Goal:
To display the trajectories of the air masses that arrived at my sampling point over 35 days.
I intend to show the origin of the air masses to determine if their head is marine or terrestrial. My experiment had an air sampler that pulled samples for 6 hours a day for 35 days. We are running a phylogenetic analysis to determine which genus/species were transported to our sampler. We intend to use HYSPLIT to determine their origin.

Met data:
Concatenated: North American Mesoscale Forecast System (NAM) 12 km - NAM12 from [2021-05-10]-[2021-06-13]
These are daily North American files that I concatenated into one file (blamm_concat).
I chose these data files as they were a high resolution that didn't take up too much disk space.

Run setup:
freq_run_setup.PNG
Traj->Special Runs-> Daily:
freq_daily_run.PNG
I Chose 6 hours to start a new calculation because my sampling period was over 6 hours. However, I don't see why I can't just run a new one every hour?

Display plot settings:

I only changed the resolution; I figured the higher the resolution, the better.

The frequency plot itself:
freq_plot.PNG
To me, this looks barren. There is very little information displayed. Something is not right here.

My main goal for this post is to get advice on my approach. Is this the way you would try and display these plots? Is there a better way?
Also, to fix why the plots don't display the correct information.
If there are any questions, please let me know.
mheron-UCSD
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Re: Interpretation and sanity check. What's next?

Post by mheron-UCSD »

Better freq plot.PNG
I got this plot using the web version. Is there a good way to interpret this?
I'd also like to be able to do this using the GUI

Return to “Users”