Accessing monthly NCEP/NCAR reanalysis data files

General questions and postings pertaining to the use of HYSPLIT regardless of the platform. For platform specific questions, use the HYSPLIT Platform forums.
cngw
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Accessing monthly NCEP/NCAR reanalysis data files

Post by cngw »

Hiya,

Sorry if this is a really silly question, but I'm having trouble finding the data files I need to run back trajectories on Hysplit.
I've been using the desktop version of Hysplit, and I know I can access the NCEP 2.5-deg 6P (1948-present) files individually through the FTP access in the program, but I have hundreds of back trajectories to run and I would like to access all of these files in bulk so that I don't have to download them all individually.

I've had a look on the RDA-UCR website but many of the linked webpages are no longer available and I can only find data divided by parameters, not in the packages like the RP*****.gbl files that I access through Hysplit.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for finding the RP******.gbl files that Hysplit wants.

All the best,
Calla
sonny.zinn

Re: Accessing monthly NCEP/NCAR reanalysis data files

Post by sonny.zinn »

NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis files are available from an ARL server. Please refer to https://www.ready.noaa.gov/archives.php.
cngw

Post by cngw »

Hi Sonny,

Thanks for the reply.

With this link I still can't find the files that Hysplit will let me use.
cngw

Post by cngw »

Hi Sonny,
I should also have clarified: I can find the .gbl files through the READY link, but only individually, it still doesn't solve the problem of downloading them in bulk, rather than going through downloading each file individually.
sonny.zinn

Post by sonny.zinn »

If you use a ftp client such as FileZilla FTP client, you should be able to download many files at one go. Other FTP clients might have the same feature.
cngw

Post by cngw »

It was a problem with the university server and the ftp after all!! Thanks for you help!

Return to “Users”