Computed Vertical Wind Speed Values

General questions and postings pertaining to the use of HYSPLIT regardless of the platform. For platform specific questions, use the HYSPLIT Platform forums.
jcahill1124
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Computed Vertical Wind Speed Values

Post by jcahill1124 »

Hello.

When I looked in the 'Initial CONTROL File Section,' I found that if a given file does not have a vertical wind speed variable, the vertical motion will be computed from the horizontal velocity divergence. Is there any way to locate the values of the vertical motion/wind speed if given a certain region? I don't mind getting my hands dirty in the code to run an executable.

Thank you.
Fantine

Re: Computed Vertical Wind Speed Values

Post by Fantine »

You can use the "profile" program to extract the vertical wind (WWND) from the ARL formatted file for a location with given lat/long.
For running with command lines => [your HYSPLIT directory]/exec/profile.
For using GUI => https://www.ready.noaa.gov/hysplitusersguide/S132.htm
jcahill1124
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Post by jcahill1124 »

Hi Fantine,

I've attempted this, but my file (GDAS 0.5) does not have WWND variable. Instead, HYSPLIT computes this from the horizontal velocity divergence. I was curious how I could find the values of this calculation.
Fantine

Post by Fantine »

The subroutine for computing WWND from the divergence is [your HYSPLIT dir]/library/hysplit/metdiv.f.
You may consider using vmixing.f (which extract meteorological stability parameters) to add WWND in the extraction. It is [your HYSPLIT dir]/source/vmixing.f

Return to “Users”