Error Msg: tfreq.bin file to ascii using Conc > Utilities

General questions and postings pertaining to the use of HYSPLIT regardless of the platform. For platform specific questions, use the HYSPLIT Platform forums.
roxanasierra
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Error Msg: tfreq.bin file to ascii using Conc > Utilities

Post by roxanasierra »

Hello
I am doing frequency back trajectories using the hysplit for windows. I would like to convert the tfreq.bin file to ASCII. I understand from the tutorials that this could be done under the Concentration menu > Utilities > Convert to > ASCII. However, I get an message (see attachment). Do I need to define a grid as the message says? do I need to to execute a setup first? I am not doing concentrations, I already have my tfreq.bin file to convert.
Thanks
Attachments
Convert to ascii error.png
christopher.loughner
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Re: Error Msg: tfreq.bin file to ascii using Conc > Utilities

Post by christopher.loughner »

Yes. Go to the concentration > setup run > pollutant, deposition, grids setup > grid menu to setup your concentration grid. Note that the trajectory > display > frequency menu has a few different options for setting the grid resolution for creating the tfreq.bin file.
roxanasierra
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Error Msg: tfreq.bin file to ascii using Conc > Utilities

Post by roxanasierra »

Thanks for the reply. I still do not understand how to do the following:

1. will I need to fill out the Concentration Setup window? Should I do exactly like I did in the Trajectory Setup window with starting time, starting location, total run time and also add the meteorology file?

2. Once in the Pollutant, Concentration Grid, and Deposition Setup:
since I am not doing concentrations, I just want to convert my tfreq.bin to ascii, should I keep both Pollutant and Deposition to Num = 1?
for the Grid, do I choose 1? or should I keep all Num = 1? and just filled the Definition of Concentration Grid 1 and save?

3. Once I save Conc grid 1, do I need to run it? because it seems in the Convert Binary Concentration to ASCII window, that only cdump files will be converted and I do not have a cdump file.

Thank you

Return to “Users”