How to set up HYSPLIT Modeling on PC for calculationg concentration of volcanic ash.

General questions and postings pertaining to the use of HYSPLIT regardless of the platform. For platform specific questions, use the HYSPLIT Platform forums.
miki0829
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

How to set up HYSPLIT Modeling on PC for calculationg concentration of volcanic ash.

Post by miki0829 »

I'm trying to calculate concentration of volcanic ash by using NOAA's HYSPLIT modeling on PC version; hysplit4. However, the calculations always have been failed. *ERROR*
The numbers of Deposition Set-up must be wrong.
deposition.PNG
Deposition velocity (m/s), Pollutant molecular weight (Gram/Mole), Surface Reactive Ratio, Diffusivity Ratio, Effective Henry's Constant are suggested numbers in Table 1 in "Help" but the values for calculation of volcanic ash is not suggested.
tab1.PNG

Although Pollutant molecular can be given as SiO2, the others are difficult to detect the numbers.
Please give me advice.
barbara.stunder
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: How to set up HYSPLIT Modeling on PC for calculationg concentration of volcanic ash.

Post by barbara.stunder »

We don't know exactly what is in the ash, so approximations are made. In that GUI section, first do a run choosing Particle, and no wet, no dry deposition. Save the CONTROL file for reference. Then add dry deposition, which will give a value for the deposition velocity. Then add wet deposition.
miki0829
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Re: How to set up HYSPLIT Modeling on PC for calculationg concentration of volcanic ash.

Post by miki0829 »

Thank you for replying. I'll try it!

Return to “Users”