Error during ERA-Interim files conversation

General questions and postings pertaining to the use of HYSPLIT regardless of the platform. For platform specific questions, use the HYSPLIT Platform forums.
szabob
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Error during ERA-Interim files conversation

Post by szabob »

Dear All,
I use HYSPLIT_4 on Windows 7 OS. I would like to convert ERA-Interin (0.75X0.75) resoultion files in Europe. The upper air 3D file contains the variavles (geopotential, temperature, uvelocity, v-velocity, w-velocity, and relative humidity) in 37 pressure levels, 2D file contains the surface varibles (2m temperature, the 10m u- and v- velocity components, and the total precipitation field) and the invariant file contains geopotential variable. The 3D and 2D data are in 2016 October the invariant data is in 1989. When I tried to convert the files but I got an Error message:

while executing
"exec $exec_dir/grib2arl.exe $arg1 $arg2 $arg3 $arg4 $arg9 $arg5 $arg6 $arg7 $arg8 >STDOUT"
(procedure "xtrct_data" line 60)
invoked from within
"xtrct_data "
invoked from within
".eraarch.bot.save invoke"
("uplevel" body line 1)
invoked from within
"uplevel #0 [list $w invoke]"
(procedure "tk::ButtonUp" line 24)
invoked from within
"tk::ButtonUp .eraarch.bot.save"
(command bound to event)

I have read a same issue from viewtopic.php?t=1315 but I do not know how I can solve this error. I do not know which info are missing in the dataset? I attached a PrtSc and the error_log file.
Thank you for your help in advance!
Attachments
Convert.png
alicec

Re: Error during ERA-Interim files conversation

Post by alicec »

Please see these threads:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1229&p=3389#p3389
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=202&p=3781#p3781

In particular - please post contents of MESSAGE file:
If you go into your hysplit4/working directory you will find a MESSAGE file you can open in notepad.

Also, try the ecm2arl utility - you will need to run it from the command line.
There is code which is called ecm2arl in the hyspit4/exec directory which you can run from the command line.
ecm2arl -i(grib file with pressure/3d fields) -s(grib file with analysis surface fields) -e(grib file with forecast surface fields) -c(constant grib data)
szabob

Post by szabob »

Thank you very much for your reply. I found the mistake. I checked the MESSAGE file as you suggested and I got to know that the .grib files are not found. After I copied the .grib files into the working directory (hysplit/working) the program found the files and could convert them.
Timothy Sumer
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Post by Timothy Sumer »

This was very helpful for me, thanks for sharing.

Return to “Users”