Calculating air volume over small sampler

General questions and postings pertaining to the use of HYSPLIT regardless of the platform. For platform specific questions, use the HYSPLIT Platform forums.
alliespring
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Calculating air volume over small sampler

Post by alliespring »

Hello,

I am trying to calculate the volume of air that was collected from a sampling device. I know the size of the sampler (1444 square cm), the time period, and location, so I am wondering if there is a way to calculate the volume of air that passed through the sampling device during that time period (i.e. what volume of air was sampled).

Thanks
Tianfeng.Chai
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Re: Calculating air volume over small sampler

Post by Tianfeng.Chai »

It seems that your air sampler is a passive one which does not have intake control at the inlet. In this case, you will only need to know the wind speed (the component perpendicular to the sampler surface) at the sampler location to calculate the air flux (F=Vp x Area). Then integrating the flux over the period will give you the total air volume sampled. The wind speed can be obtained from measurement data, available meteorological model data, or your own model runs. If you want to know the regions where the sampled air came from, you could run HYSPLIT backward in either trajectory or dispersion mode.

Return to “Users”