Defining a map area for trajectory display

General questions and postings pertaining to the use of HYSPLIT regardless of the platform. For platform specific questions, use the HYSPLIT Platform forums.
mstill
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Defining a map area for trajectory display

Post by mstill »

Hi,

I'm trying to plot several trajectory files on one plot. The trajplot function picks randomly one trajectory file and defines the area of the map with respect to that file. Later on, when it plots other trajectories on the same map, some of them go out of bound.

So, is there a way where I could define the area of the map I want to display so that all the trajectories could fit in? So, far I've tried reading the command line/terminal options but I didn't find any such option.

Also, if someone has tried plotting trajectories using Python and would like to share the script then I would be grateful.

Thanks,
barbara.stunder

Re: Defining a map area for trajectory display

Post by barbara.stunder »

To force a map domain for trajectories use the -h and -g command line parameters for trajplot.

From the Help in the GUI (Trajectory / Display / Trajectory / Help):
-h [Hold map at center lat-lon: (source point), lat:lon] = latitude:longitude - forces the map center to be at the selected location instead of the source point. In conjunction with the -g0:{km} option it is possible to create a constant map projection for each execution.

For example: trajplot -h40.0:-90.0 -g0:400 ...
mstill

Post by mstill »

Thanks for your help. However, is it possible to modify second and third lines in the label of the trajectory display?

As I explained earlier, I'm plotting a lot of trajectories together but trajplot just picks the Title according to the first trajectory it plots. I can modify the first line of the Title by creating LABELS.CFG but the second line is auto-generated according to the first trajectory it plots. I would like to customise that line. Please let me know if that's possible.

Thanks in advance.
barbara.stunder

Post by barbara.stunder »

The program trajplot automatically generates the 2nd line of the output grapic (e.g. Forward trajectory beginning at 0000 UTC 27 Nov 17)

To change that label, open the postscript file trajplot.ps in a text editor such as Notepad. Search for that line (Forward trajectory) and edit it.

Return to “Users”