Appropriate grid resolution for trajectory statistics

General questions and postings pertaining to the use of HYSPLIT regardless of the platform. For platform specific questions, use the HYSPLIT Platform forums.
egribbin
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Appropriate grid resolution for trajectory statistics

Post by egribbin »

When using HYSPLIT to generate trajectory statistics (i.e. frequency analyses), is there a general rule of thumb about selecting an appropriate grid resolution (e.g. 1.0 degree versus 0.25 or 0.5 degrees)? I typically use North American Regional Reanalysis files with the 32km grid size for my meteorological input. Thanks very much!

Erik Gribbin
ariel.stein

Re: Appropriate grid resolution for trajectory statistics

Post by ariel.stein »

There is no general rule to determine the spatial resolution for a frequency analysis. However, the spatial resolution of the underlying meteorological data will give you a good starting point. If you are using the NARR to drive your trajectory calculation, I would suggest using a similar spatial resolution (e.g. ~0.3 degrees).
egribbin

A quick follow up question Re: Appropriate grid resolution for trajectory statistics

Post by egribbin »

When building the data grid for my analysis, should I stay faithful to the original description in the NARR readme.txt file?
Lambert Conformal Conic Projection
Vert. Coordinate 2
Pole Lat. 90.00
Pole Lon. 0.00
Ref. Lat. 50.00
Ref. Lon. -107.00
Ref. Grid 32.46
Orientation 0.00
Cone Angle 50.00
Sync X 1.00
Sync Y 1.00
Sync Lat. 6.98
Sync Lon. -143.76
Special 0.00
Numb. Lat. 309
Numb. Lon. 237
Numb. Vertical layers 24

Or, can I use an alternative projection/grid set up?

Thanks very much for your time and answer!!

Erik Gribbin
ariel.stein

Re: Appropriate grid resolution for trajectory statistics

Post by ariel.stein »

No, the trajectory frequency calculation is done over a regular latitude longitude grid with user set resolution. It is not done over the same geographical projection as the meteorological data.

Return to “Users”