Clustering with Different Start Heights

General questions and postings pertaining to the use of HYSPLIT regardless of the platform. For platform specific questions, use the HYSPLIT Platform forums.
burtonej
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Clustering with Different Start Heights

Post by burtonej »

I am attempting to cluster 101 backward trajectories with different starting heights but the same starting coordinates. I am receiving the following message. I also tried editing the tdump files to have the same starting heights but received a similar message. The spatial variance plot is empty. Any ideas or suggestions?
Attachments
image.png
barbara.stunder
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Clustering with Different Start Heights

Post by barbara.stunder »

It shows 101 trajectories are in the INFILE but only 6 were used in the clustering. Why were the others dropped? Do all the trajectories go out in time the same duration - at least to the 'number of hours to cluster'? Trajectories terminate early if they go off the grid in the horizontal or vertical, or if there is missing meteorology. Look at the text files TCLUS and TNOCLUS to see which were used and not used.
Nidhi

Post by Nidhi »

Hello..
i am doing cluster analysis in hysplit but now i want to try it in trajstat. After drawing all trajectories in trajstat i convert them in line data file (lcd) but when i tried to do cluster analysis it is showing an error " Each trajectory line should has same end points". I am not able to understand it..please help me :?: :?:
burtonej

Post by burtonej »

I am now trying this with a simpler set of trajectories. They each have different start heights but the same number of hours. The first one is being clustered, but the rest are not. How do I tell if my trajectories are going off the grid?
yaqiang

Post by yaqiang »

Nidhi wrote:Hello..
i am doing cluster analysis in hysplit but now i want to try it in trajstat. After drawing all trajectories in trajstat i convert them in line data file (lcd) but when i tried to do cluster analysis it is showing an error " Each trajectory line should has same end points". I am not able to understand it..please help me :?: :?:
The clustering algorithm requires all trajectories have same end point number (A back-trajectory has 73 end point number with -72 run hour and one hour interval output). So the error message will be occured if one or more trajectories have less end point number than others. Normally the month first several days back-trajectories have this problem if the last month metereological data were not inluded. So you need to recalculate the trajectories to make sure all trajectories were traced completely.
kenafam

Post by kenafam »

burtonej wrote:I am attempting to cluster 101 backward trajectories with different starting heights but the same starting coordinates. I am receiving the following message. I also tried editing the tdump files to have the same starting heights but received a similar message. The spatial variance plot is empty. Any ideas or suggestions?
I am getting the same message. Did you resolve this?
barbara.stunder

Post by barbara.stunder »

Are you running this in HYSPLIT or trajstat? What is unique to this set of trajectories compared to others that clustered successfully?
Nidhi

Post by Nidhi »

Hello

i want to segregate clusters in different group using trajstat. Trajstat only gives mean value of clusters, is it possible to have different images of trajectories associated with each cluster. I have already done it in hysplit which generate four clusters of my data and generate four images. Is it also possible in trajstat??
yaqiang

Post by yaqiang »

Yes, TrajStat can do this job. Please check TrajStat online help document: http://www.meteothinker.com/docs/trajst ... r_cal.html .
Nidhi

Post by Nidhi »

Can we do clusters with different start height in trajstat. It gives trajectories air pressure information but is it possible to have information about height of trajectories.

Return to “Users”