Concentration Plot

Topics about the HYSPLIT dispersion model.
kokilamani
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Concentration Plot

Post by kokilamani »

This kokila doing my project with hysplit4. i have created my own data to use in the software instead of gdas. i have done this with wind parameter,wind speed, and mixing layer height. i attatch the data text file('feb2015.txt'for feb month and that is 24 hours data) then i have processed to get the concentration plot for pm10.my location is eastern hemisphere.(India->Tamil nadu->Coimbatore).please validate my project and give some idea to enhance
thank you
Attachments
for the given txt data this is simulated concentration plot
for the given txt data this is simulated concentration plot
feb2015.txt
This is 24-hours data
(516 Bytes) Downloaded 358 times
glenn.rolph
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Concentration Plot

Post by glenn.rolph »

It seems that you created a HYSPLIT formatted file using the sfc2arl.exe program. This program will create a data file with one or more time periods containing a uniform field in space and height, but varying in time, and on a 50 by 50 km grid centered over the source location. Unfortunately you only have one meteorological observation per day, which is not very realistic, as the winds and mixing depth change throughout the day. In addition, this program is not intended to be used for long term dispersion studies as it contains uniform meteorology throughout the model domain, again very unrealistic. You would be better off running a meso-scale model such as WRF or either using the GDAS or Global Reanalysis datasets and if needed, use the surface file you create for the initial release time (plus one hour) IN ADDITION to the GDAS data, which will cause HYSPLIT to use the 50 by 50 km user defined meteorological data only for the first hour and then it will use the GDAS for the remainder of the calculation. This is one way to have the plume start out in the right direction if the coarser model (GDAS) does not capture the local meteorology near the release location.

Glenn
kokilamani

Post by kokilamani »

No i dint come across the term called sfc2arl.exe. what is my idea is just by using wind direction and wind speed, and the mixing layer height i tried to simulate the concentration plot.actually the format of my data is year month day noon 12 wind direction wind speed and mixing layer height. ususally the mixing layer height at noon is almost at 1500 meter. GDAS data is very hard to download since we need to have uninterrupted net connection in my case it is very difficult i have choosen this way by creating the own data set with the available data from meterological department
kokilamani

Post by kokilamani »

can any one help me out in using this concentration plot with matlab
ariel.stein

Post by ariel.stein »

Please see the following posts:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=347
Wallace SW Chan

Post by Wallace SW Chan »

May i learn if exposure plot (unit : Bq-s/m^3) can be generated on the web-based HYSPLIT version?

I logged in and attempt to choose radiological species from 'release type' option but the option is unavailable.

tks.

Wallace
glenn.rolph

Post by glenn.rolph »

After your model run is finished, you can choose "Redraw the dispersion plots without rerunning the model" and then you will have the option of creating an exposure plot (mass-s/m^3). However, keep in mind that we currently do not have an option to enter a radioactive decay using the web-based HYSPLIT for the general public use.
madhulika_gurazada

Post by madhulika_gurazada »

I want to understand the mechanics behind the exposure plots. Can someone please share the documentation on exposure calculation?

Return to “Dispersion Model”