Extracting data at specific location

Topics about the HYSPLIT dispersion model.
paul
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Extracting data at specific location

Post by paul »

Hello!

I've successfully conducted a model run and got all necessary outputs files. Also I can open a kmz file in Google Earth. But I've got some trouble with extracting data as an array at specific location. I used utility con2stn (GUI), filled the windows according to the users guide, and I got the extracted txt file, but all values are zero ("0."). I'm attaching the screenshots. I tried to do that on both Windows and Mac M1 machines with the same final result.

I hope you'll guide me on the right path.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 13.34.06.png
Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 13.34.24.png
Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 13.34.47.png
alicec
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Extracting data at specific location

Post by alicec »

Can you make sure that the concentrations aren't zero for the location you are specifying?
One thing in particular to look at is the height index to make sure you are extracting concentrations at the correct height.
Look at how you set up the vertical levels and make sure that you are trying to get concentrations in that first level (height index 1).
paul
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Post by paul »

It has to be a non zero concentrations at the specifying location as the source of emission at 59.92N 32.41E and the location I'm interested in at 59.54N 32.21E. But I guess I have a misunderstanding about how the vertical levels and the height of the source should relate to each other. Is it acceptable to set up 70 m height of emission's source, 1000 m top of the model, 1 num of levels and 10 m height of levels? I'm looking for extracting data at the lowest level to compare it with ground-based measurements.
alicec
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Post by alicec »

A couple thoughts

1. You release particles at 70m and are defining 10m vertical resolution on your concentration grid. To get non-zero concentrations in the first level, the material will need to mix downward to the first level. How quickly this happens depends on the meteorological conditions. So it could be that you have concentrations above your location, but not at 10m.

2. 10m vertical resolution is quite high. What is the vertical resolution of the meteorological data you are using to drive HYSPLIT? You might need to explore whether you need that high of resolution, if your meteorological inputs support it, and if you have enough computational particles to support it. For measurement stations at ground level, it is often considered adequate to consider concentrations averaged over about 1/2 the boundary layer height.

3. What is the horizontal resolution of your concentration grid? Your point 59.54, 32.21 is about 40 km away from your source, so depending on the wind direction and your horizontal resolution, the plume may not be reaching that point. Can you plot the plume to see if it is over your measurement point?

4. What is your boundary layer height at this time location? You probably want to use a higher model top, it should be well above the planetary boundary layer height.

The user defined concentration grid is used to convert the computational particle positions to concentrations.
You can see here for more details https://www.mdpi.com/2073-4433/11/12/1369

Return to “Dispersion Model”