Special Runs with PARTICLE.DAT & PARTICLE_STILT.DAT

Topics about the HYSPLIT dispersion model.
daniellem
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Special Runs with PARTICLE.DAT & PARTICLE_STILT.DAT

Post by daniellem »

Hi everyone! I am trying to look at concentration over a few months during specific times of the day. I would like to do this using the "Special Runs">"Daily" function rather than going run by run, but I would also like to have the PARTICLE.DAT and PARTICLE_STILT.DAT information saved for each run. Is there a way to have the DAT files listed above save with the date/time in the file name?

I am new to this program and apologize if I missed something that is in the manual. Thanks in advance.
sonny.zinn
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Special Runs with PARTICLE.DAT & PARTICLE_STILT.DAT

Post by sonny.zinn »

You will want to write and use a script to run HYSPLIT instead of using the Daily option provided by GUI. Your script would loop over each day of your interest. For each iteration of the loop, CONTROL and SETUP.CFG files are created and HYSPLIT is executed. The name of the particle information file is specified by SETUP.CFG via the poutf parameter.

Our HYSPLIT tutorial comes with scripts. They might be very useful. For example, consider Section 7.6 at https://www.ready.noaa.gov/documents/Tu ... _part.html. Next to the "HOME" link on top, you will see an icon with a terminal with a gear and another icon with a penguin. The icons are links to a Windows script file and a Linux script file, respectively.
Minisa
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Re: Special Runs with PARTICLE.DAT & PARTICLE_STILT.DAT

Post by Minisa »

Hello,

You can also run the Linux script file under the a windows machine if you use git bash.

Hope this helps

Best regards,
Minisa

Return to “Dispersion Model”