Confusion with results produced when changing sampling time interval and type

Topics about the HYSPLIT dispersion model.
alicec
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Confusion with results produced when changing sampling time interval and type

Post by alicec »

1. Can you state the goals of your research more clearly? Do you need vertical profiles of concentration with 1 m vertical resolution and 1 minute temporal resolution?

2. I'm not sure what you mean by a zero wind dataset. HYSPLIT does come with a utility for creating 'user entered meteorological data'
https://www.ready.noaa.gov/documents/Tu ... enter.html
GarySutlieffUoB
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Re: Confusion with results produced when changing sampling time interval and type

Post by GarySutlieffUoB »

1. Certainly. I'm trying to use HYSPLIT to create atmospheric profiles of the release of a target chemical agent for use with a radiative transfer model. I'm modelling the detection of that agent using satellites, hence the need for a radiative transfer model and HYSPLIT to produce atmospheric profiles. The 1m vertical resolution is needed to match the format of the radiative transfer model's input files, but the temporal resolution can vary somewhat (you may recall I originally was working with 15-minute averaging, though this turned out to not be doing what I thought it was as you explained to me previously). The objective with regards to temporal monitoring is to evaluate how the concentration of the gas decreases over time and thus how the detectability of the target agent changes with time. As such the temporal resolution can vary somewhat, but is still likely to be quite fine in scale, certainly less than an hour would be ideal.

2. I was referring to a dataset with no wind present so I could test the dispersion without wind present. I was wondering if simple not inputting any meteorology would have a similar effect or whether the model wouldn't function without that input.

Return to “Dispersion Model”