Problem running Hysplit Archive dispersion

Topics about the HYSPLIT dispersion model.
ledg1945@gmail.com
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Problem running Hysplit Archive dispersion

Post by ledg1945@gmail.com »

Dear Sirs,

I am doing calculations dealing with a potential release on 22 Sep 1979 near Prince Edward Island.

First I did trajectories extending for one week (job 159388 on 24 January). At release altitude 3500 m the trajectory passes the southern coast of Australia (which it also díd in calculations done by NOAA and NRL at the time).

Then I tried to do a corresponding dispersion run twice (one of them, job 27777 today) and met with two problems: First I could only extend the run to 84 hours (something I have not found any limitation referred to in tutorials). Secondly, after that half week, the dispersion trace extended just some tiny 200 km in the same major initial direction as the trajectory. So the two different analyses were quite disparate.

Can you explain?

I am afraid there is something I am totally blind for but I have checked carefully and have not found it!!

Best Regards,

Lars-Erik De Geer
Fantine

Re: Problem running Hysplit Archive dispersion

Post by Fantine »

Have you compared the CONTROL of both runs? It may give you a hint about why the results are different.
You may want to consider using the HYSPLIT PC version which has some features not available in the web-based version.
Here is the downloading page of the PC version: https://www.ready.noaa.gov/HYSPLIT_hytrial.php
This online tutorial is very useful for installing and running the model: https://www.ready.noaa.gov/documents/Tu ... index.html
ledg1945@gmail.com
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Re: Problem running Hysplit Archive dispersion

Post by ledg1945@gmail.com »

The 200 km extension was a misunderstanding on my side.

Still, I would need to know how I can make runs for one week or more and not be limited to 84 hours (= half a week) preferably in the web version.

Return to “Dispersion Model”