Integrate over time series

Topics about the HYSPLIT dispersion model.
sle20
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Integrate over time series

Post by sle20 »

Dear Mark,

That is awesome! I have increased the settings and it seems to be working so much better. And looks very similar to Flexpart's production. Thank you so very much for such detaield answers! I think many work collegues will be using Hysplit more now knowing that they can make these trajectories on Hysplit.

I'm curious if this is at the stage where you can overlay data points (lat,lon,brightness)-as I am looking at tracing data back to potential biomass burning- if not I can use google Earth for both outputs.

Once again eternal thanks,
Stephen
MarkCohen
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Integrate over time series

Post by MarkCohen »

Hi Stephen,

I'm so glad to hear that it is working for you!

Regarding additional data layers, I can give you a few suggestions.

(1) Your idea of using Google Earth is a good option. As you know, you can run concplot (Concentration -> Display -> Contours) with the option of exporting Google Earth outputs

(2) You can also export ESRI-generate files, instead of Google Earth. Then you can use the and the Concentration -> Utilities -> GIS-to-Shapefile menu to convert the exported ESRI-generate files to shapefiles (this runs the program "ascii2shp"). Then, you can import the shapefiles into ArcGIS or any other GIS software that can read shapefiles. Once inside ArcGIS, you can add other layers of data that you have, etc. This is the pathway that I've generally followed.

(3) In making the graphics with HYSPLIT concplot (Concentration -> Display -> Contours), there is actually a capability to overlay additional shapefiles onto the graphical output. This is explained in the Users Guide and in the tutorial. I haven't had much experience with this, though.

Here's some of the documentation regarding this option from the User Guide (and there is also material in the Tutorial) about this:

ESRI Shapefile Map Background Files

Another mapping option would be to specify a special pointer file, (origianlly called shapefiles.txt, but now a suffix other than "txt" is permitted) to replace the map background file arlmap in the -j command line option (see above). Note -jshapefiles... rather than -j./shapefiles... is required. This file would contain the name of one or more shapefiles that can be used to create the map background. The line characteristics (spacing, thickness, color) can be specified for each shapefile following the format specified below: Record format: 'file.shp' dash thick red green blue
file.shp = /dir/name of input shapefile in quotes
dash = {0} for solid; {dashes}/in; thick = line thickness in inches (default = 0.0)
Red Green Blue = RGB values (0.0 0.0 0.0 is black)
Record example for default: 'arlmap.shp' 0 0.005 0.4 0.6 0.8

Return to “Dispersion Model”