3 years daily frequency backward trajectories

Topics about the HYSPLIT trajectory model.
florin.unga
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

3 years daily frequency backward trajectories

Post by florin.unga »

Hello, so I'm trying to do 3 years of daily frequency plot from 2012-2014. The problem is that in Hysplit I can use only 12 meteorological file. I downloaded for the moment only 2012 year, daily, gdas0p5, so I have 365 files. Is there a meteo file for the entire year? I think is larger than 130 GB.
1. The approach is to concatenate meteorological files? ( type file1 file 2 > out) ? or it's already exists a script to do this?
2. Let's say i resolve question 1, can I write all backtrajectories in 1 file? not one file per backtrajectories. or I need to create a script to read and write to another file the coordinates of backtrajectories.
3. It is normal for "display/trajectories/frequency to take more than half day to create the graph on an laptop I7 processor only for 3 days, 4 backtrajectories per day (0,6,12,18), or I'm doing something wrong...

Thanks

P.s.: I'm using windows.
barbara.stunder

Re: 3 years daily frequency backward trajectories

Post by barbara.stunder »

First you need to create the trajectories, then you run the frequency program.

1. Yes, you can concatenate the HYSPLIT meteorology files. The PC GUI has Trajectory / Special Runs / Daily that can create trajectories for a month at a time, so it would make sense to concatenate such that there are <=12 files. Use one starting height. This gives you one file per trajectory.

2. The trajectory frequency program is designed for one trajectory per file.

3. That is longer than expected. Try the example in the HYSPLIT Tutorial at http://www.ready.noaa.gov/documents/Tut ... index.html, Section 5.1 Frequency Analysis.
florin.unga

Post by florin.unga »

Thank you a lot. It helped me.
Also, I used this tutorial: http://www.arl.noaa.gov/faq_hg10.php for merging trajectories
Max Simus
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Post by Max Simus »

Good afternoon,
First, I would like to thank you for your response. it is very helpful. However, I have a question regarding Trajectory / Special Runs / Daily. Is this a backward trajectory. because I am trying to do the same for 10 years on GUI and still wondering about creating trajectories. Thanks, Max
barbara.stunder wrote:
December 3rd, 2015, 9:01 am
First you need to create the trajectories, then you run the frequency program.

1. Yes, you can concatenate the HYSPLIT meteorology files. The PC GUI has Trajectory / Special Runs / Daily that can create trajectories for a month at a time, so it would make sense to concatenate such that there are <=12 files. Use one starting height. This gives you one file per trajectory.

3. That is longer than expected. Try the example in the HYSPLIT Tutorial at http://www.ready.noaa.gov/documents/Tut ... index.html, Section 5.1 Frequency Analysis.
aring

Post by aring »

Hi Max,
You can run forward or back trajectories, which you designate in the Trajectory > Setup Run menu.
When doing Trajectory > Special Runs > Daily, this menu requires a day range that runs forward in time.
This means, your start date for the daily trajectories should be the furthest date in the past for which you would like to execute a trajectory.
For example:
Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 9.56.10 AM.png
In this menu, you can select the direction for the trajectories. This then automatically changes the total run time to negative (if back trajectory) or positive if (forward trajectory). Notice the start date is January 01, 2010 at 00z, ten years ago. This is the furthest date in the past for which I want to start a back trajectory.
Be sure to save the trajectory setup menu.
Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 10.00.54 AM.png
Now, once you get to the Trajectory > Special Runs > Daily menu, notice the start time is again January 01, 2010 at 00z, and I have selected trajectories to run every 24 hours for the next 500 days.
Based on this setup, daily back trajectories starting at 00z between January 01, 2010 and May 16, 2011 at 00z will be executed. This of course requires appropriate met files to be available for the full duration of your simulations.
Hopefully this makes sense.
Max Simus

Post by Max Simus »

Thank you very much for your clear and informative response. The only problem that I have now is to run daily for a month followed by 5 years. The daily run takes a very long time to produce fdumps files. Is it supposed to take this long (more than 10-12 hrs. for only one month)? Is it because I have done it every 6 hr for one month in the daily calculation?
How different would be if I do one trajectory per day instead since I am going to use the files later for the cluster?
Thank you, Max
ariel.stein

Post by ariel.stein »

The daily trajectories should take only a few seconds. Something is not right in your computing system. Can you please share with us your CONTROL and SETUP.CFG files?
Zarakan

Post by Zarakan »

Thank you all.
nadia

Post by nadia »

Hi everyone,
I need your help.
I used the frequency analysis methode to plot the daily frequency forward trajectories.
After the special runs, Hysplit created all the fdumps files.
However, when I wanted to creat the file "Infile" containes the fdump files. I the following received an error message (see bellow).
I stuck in this step. Could you help me to get the plot.
Thank you in advance.
Attachments
Untitled.png
klausfelix

Post by klausfelix »

First you need to create the trajectories,

then you run the frequency program.

1. Yes, you can concatenate the HYSPLIT meteorology files.

The PC GUI has Trajectory / Special Runs / Daily that can create trajectories for a month at a time,

so it would make sense to concatenate such that there are <=12 files.

Use one starting height. This gives you one file per trajectory.

3. That is longer than expected.

Try the example in the HYSPLIT Tutorial at https://www.ready.noaa.gov/documents/Tu ... index.html, Section 5.1 Frequency Analysis.

Also, I used this tutorial: http://www.arl.noaa.gov/faq_hg10.php for merging trajectories

Return to “Trajectory Model”