3 years daily frequency backward trajectories

Topics about the HYSPLIT trajectory model.
florin.unga
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

3 years daily frequency backward trajectories

Post by florin.unga » December 3rd, 2015, 7:18 am

Hello, so I'm trying to do 3 years of daily frequency plot from 2012-2014. The problem is that in Hysplit I can use only 12 meteorological file. I downloaded for the moment only 2012 year, daily, gdas0p5, so I have 365 files. Is there a meteo file for the entire year? I think is larger than 130 GB.
1. The approach is to concatenate meteorological files? ( type file1 file 2 > out) ? or it's already exists a script to do this?
2. Let's say i resolve question 1, can I write all backtrajectories in 1 file? not one file per backtrajectories. or I need to create a script to read and write to another file the coordinates of backtrajectories.
3. It is normal for "display/trajectories/frequency to take more than half day to create the graph on an laptop I7 processor only for 3 days, 4 backtrajectories per day (0,6,12,18), or I'm doing something wrong...

Thanks

P.s.: I'm using windows.

barbara.stunder

Re: 3 years daily frequency backward trajectories

Post by barbara.stunder » December 3rd, 2015, 9:01 am

First you need to create the trajectories, then you run the frequency program.

1. Yes, you can concatenate the HYSPLIT meteorology files. The PC GUI has Trajectory / Special Runs / Daily that can create trajectories for a month at a time, so it would make sense to concatenate such that there are <=12 files. Use one starting height. This gives you one file per trajectory.

2. The trajectory frequency program is designed for one trajectory per file.

3. That is longer than expected. Try the example in the HYSPLIT Tutorial at http://www.ready.noaa.gov/documents/Tut ... index.html, Section 5.1 Frequency Analysis.

florin.unga

Re: 3 years daily frequency backward trajectories

Post by florin.unga » December 4th, 2015, 10:11 am

Thank you a lot. It helped me.
Also, I used this tutorial: http://www.arl.noaa.gov/faq_hg10.php for merging trajectories