Back-Trajectory plotting

Topics about the HYSPLIT trajectory model.
stegriff88
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Back-Trajectory plotting

Post by stegriff88 »

Hello,

I am doing just simple plotting of trajectories and am having trouble some of the plotting functions

1) The users guide seems to indicate that you can assign different colors (choose from 7) to the various trajectories, but when making a 3 trajectory (for example) the -k3:463 flag produces all three trajectories with the 4=cyan color but I understood that it should be cyan, yellow, green in that order. Do you only have the option to have a default color differentiation set with -k1 flag? That only seems to choose b/w 3 colors, red,blue,green

2) When I retain the time vs. height/pressure plot below the trajectory plot, it doesn't adjust the starting dates and instead has them all start at the same time, not giving any information about when the different trajectories arrived. I notice in the online version of HYSPLIT that time vs. height plot is able to correctly set the different times. How do they do this?

3) What is the best way to put labels on the plots?

Best,
barbara.stunder
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Back-Trajectory plotting

Post by barbara.stunder »

1) Try it again. When I run ..\exec\trajplot.exe -itdump -k3:463 the results is trajectories that are cyan, yellow, green.

2) This may depend on specifically what you are running. Compare your CONTROL and SETUP.CFG file to an online version that does what you expect. Also compare the tdump files.

3) Through the GUI see the HELP files with /Border Labels / and /Panel Labels/ under / Advanced / Configuration Setup /
The traplot.ps file may also be edited in a text editor.
stegriff88
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Post by stegriff88 »

Thanks for your reply

1) I am able to get this to work by first merging all my individual endpoints together with merglist.exe. Then the -k3:643 flag works, but if I attempt to call the command below yields three trajectories of all the same color. This is resolved for me now, but you may want to see if you can replicate in case other users have the same issue
c:\hysplit4\exec\trajplot.exe -iOUT12071300+OUT12071400+OUT12071500 -k3:643

2) and 3) I cannot seem to find the differences between the CONTROL/SETUP/tdump files that would lead to the plotting discrepancy, but I think I can do without this fix if I am able to add some labels within the plot and not just in the panel and border areas. Or is there a way to add a legend where I can provide the color associated with particular dates?

Thank you!
barbara.stunder
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Post by barbara.stunder »

1) The -k3:643 color feature only applies when there are multiple trajectories in an individual trajectory endpoints file such as your merged file. When individual trajectories are read as in -ifile1+file2+file3, the color coding applies to each trajectory file separately.

2) If you send me your CONTROL, SETUP, and tdump file and analogous ones from a web run, I can check them. Barbara.Stunder@noaa.gov.

3) The border and panel labels are the only ones that a user can change.

Return to “Trajectory Model”